Snails and zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I finally decided to feed my snails some vegetables instead of just making them eat left overs and algae.

I cut up some zuccini and pinned them to the substrate with some bamboo skewers this morning. Much to my disappointment, they've pretty much ignored it. I saw both the Mystery snail and the rabbit snail investigate the slices, but haven't gone near them since. The Nerites have yet to discover them.

Anybody have any suggestions on either preparation or something different that might entice them to eat something besides left over fish food and algae off the glass?

I've heard that Nerites like carrots.. and I've heard you should blanch the veggies before you feed them. Blanching just means cooking them for maybe five minutes, softens them up a bit, but does not cook them soft.

Boiled spinach I've put in for shrimp has been eaten by some of my snails, so you might try that perhaps. I boiled one small leaf and used a rock to hold it down, it was gone in a couple of days.

Ive read mixed opinions on blanching. I did not blanch this time, so I'll try it next time and see if the results are different. Its my understanding that blanching breaks down the cellulose in the vegetables to make them easier to digest for fish, not sure if it helps with snails though.

My Mystery snail was on top of one of the slices for quite a while this morning. I waited until it had finished before taking it out. I only left the zucchini in the tank for about 24 hrs before removing. Maybe leave it in longer next time? How long do you think would be TOO long?

I have experimented with blanched kale in the past. Originally it was for my crayfish, but when it showed no interest I placed it in the aquarium that has the snails to see if they'd go for it. They didnt show much interest either. :ermm:

I dont do much cooking for myself at home, so I dont want to go nuts in the produce section of the grocery store and then end up with a bunch of forgotten vegetables rotting in my crisper. :lol:

I can understand that. You can try buying frozen spinach though, which won't need blanching, the freezing bursts the cell walls and that's probably enough. I don't leave veggies in there much more than two days. If it's getting smaller, being eaten, and is not looking like it has fungus on it, I'll leave it another day. If I see any sign of fungus, or anything slimy on it, out it comes. Using a small dish can be helpful, keeping it in one place and making it easier to remove. Clean, small clay pot saucers work well for this.

If the snail spent a lot of time on the chunk, it must have been eating it, so I'd try that type again, maybe a smaller piece, maybe blanched, or freeze a piece and then thaw it out. Zucchini will get very watery and gooey if frozen, so I'd use things that are harder than zucchini is. Watermelon rind can be very good, if you can get a piece. And don't forget to check for bins used to toss veggie trimmings at the grocery store. I often get a few leaves of various things this way for free. Nobody seems to mind, and many folks who keep rabbits or guinea pigs, etc., will take carrot tops, beet tops, celeriac tops, etc. I take beet tops to juice for myself, they're very similar to spinach actually.

Just grab a few bits of whatever to try and you won't have a whole bunch to eat or go bad.

I placed another piece of raw zucchini in the tank. The first 24hrs were pretty much the same as last time... Barely touched.
However, when I woke up this morning the Mystery snail was on top of what little bit was left (pretty much just the skin remaining).

I'm wondering if the organic breakdown that's taking place the first day makes it more appealing and if blanching just gets it to that point faster.

I think it is more appealing to them because it is breaking down and is softer, aka rotting, lol.

As for not cooking and not keeping a ton of produce, you could maybe check with your produce manager and ask about a leaf or two of trims from the organic produce they have, and since you would be able to use one leaf for many feedings I think they would be happy to help you. They save the older / blemished or rotten spot stuff for people with livestock all the time around here.

You can also take up eating different types of bagged organic salads and sharing with your fish and snail friends...

My snails shrimp and fish also didn't take to eating it right away. But they do like a inch or two of dark green leaf. One time I microwaved (a little too long) a couple pieces of kale and they got hard, the next day they had dried a little and I crunched them up a little and sprinkled a small bit in there and the snails and shrimp and bottom feeders were all over them!

The shrimp guy at out lfs keeps a huge number of cherry shrimp (like 300-500) on a counter in his kitchen and feeds them scraps of his salads and veggies and fruits and even cooked rice. That is what got me to try it again.

Back
Top Bottom