Snails die always.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I use shrimp reminilizer with ro water. Shrimps are good but I notice my snails always die. Some soon or some late but does eventually. Both ramshorn and merited died whenever I keep them.

My water parameters are:

Gh 5
Kh 0-1
PH 6
TDS 140-160 usually
Temperature 22-24
Ammonia Nill
Nitrates and Nitrites are 0 usually

Please advise. Thanks.

What do their shells look like ?

I don't keep shrimp and know you are making water proper for them and that other shrimp keepers keep snails ,but I would guess low TDS ...Years ago I wiped out a tank of snails with simple low TDS water..Snail shells like cow skulls on the desert...The shells were brittle and some turned whitish...

I’d say low pH and possibly low minerals (calcium) are the culprits. Snails never did well in my high tech planted tank. Shells would turn white. In my blackwater setup, snail shells are coloring up nicely.

The only way I've had success with snails in high tech planted setups is adding them immediately after they are born, and letting them grow up in the CO2 environment, but even then you can tell they aren't happy with the pH fluctuation and fertilizers.

As long as the gH and pH is within neocaridina range (roughly 6-10 gH and 7.0-7.5 pH), they should live fine, just not as well as they would in a low tech / no tech tank.

What do their shells look like ?

I don't keep shrimp and know you are making water proper for them and that other shrimp keepers keep snails ,but I would guess low TDS ...Years ago I wiped out a tank of snails with simple low TDS water..Snail shells like cow skulls on the desert...The shells were brittle and some turned whitish...
I’d say low pH and possibly low minerals (calcium) are the culprits. Snails never did well in my high tech planted tank. Shells would turn white. In my blackwater setup, snail shells are coloring up nicely.
The only way I've had success with snails in high tech planted setups is adding them immediately after they are born, and letting them grow up in the CO2 environment, but even then you can tell they aren't happy with the pH fluctuation and fertilizers.

As long as the gH and pH is within neocaridina range (roughly 6-10 gH and 7.0-7.5 pH), they should live fine, just not as well as they would in a low tech / no tech tank.
Thanks guys. There shells look like strong and healthy even after they die. I don't add co2 or fertilizers now and made my tank low tech low maintenance. Well I seen all breeders keep them with caridinas as I have. Ramshorn survived for like two weeks and then died. All the pest snails are growing and increasing. Only ramshorn and nerites died.

PH perhaps as I had really nice looking Red Ramshorns and after my pH dip they were found around the tank with only the shells left. So they apparently don't get along well in low pH. So that is one area of concern. I also usually keep a Cuttle bone in the tanks for them. But didn't initially have it in the PRL tank. Added it when I found that the tank stayed in good pH range for the shrimp, and do not feel in my case it would cause the shrimp any problems.

PH perhaps as I had really nice looking Red Ramshorns and after my pH dip they were found around the tank with only the shells left. So they apparently don't get along well in low pH. So that is one area of concern. I also usually keep a Cuttle bone in the tanks for them. But didn't initially have it in the PRL tank. Added it when I found that the tank stayed in good pH range for the shrimp, and do not feel in my case it would cause the shrimp any problems.
I see. Thanks.

mine I find there shells only. So I guess it's the ph.

All my snails thrive in 8.3 liquid pebble tap water. I do feed them a homemade snello with ground cuttlebone added.

Back
Top Bottom