Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycie

Oh, we'll I don't particularly want 100's of snails :/ and scrapping eggs off glass does not sound appealing. Are all snails like this? Maybe if I just get one apple snail...? Anybody know more about snails?
if you get 1 apple/mystery (same thing) you will be fine.
nerite snails are awesome but leave white hard eggs on everything.. but they only hatch in salt water... you just need to search the web for different aquatic snails and see what's best for you!

Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Overpopulated snails can be avoided if you do not overfeed. And not all snails are bad, MTS are great for sifting sand. But not too visually pleasing

Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think I am liking the apple snail. But I see that there are different kinds and some eat plants and some don't. Gir. I will ask my lfs and see what they can tell me about their stock.
I'm not that fussed about how visually appealing they are, more so how beneficial they are and compatibility with shrimp and fish.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar
Overpopulated snails can be avoided if you do not overfeed. And not all snails are bad, MTS are great for sifting sand. But not too visually pleasing
And I googled MTS - they have quite nice shells
Old 04-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
In that case, I would recommend MTS. They dig around your gravel/sand and eat any left over food. They do not harm your plants unless your plant is already dying. I also believe MTS eat algae if you happen to grow algae, but keep in mind, MTS is not a solution to algae.

And they can grow pretty fast, I purposely bought 10 and overfed to increase the population to 100-150 in my 55g tank. And to this day, I maintain it at roughly that so they can swift my sand. They usually only come out at night, but occasionally you will see some during the day.

They are also quite cheap. Some stores even give them away for free because they have too much. Or you can buy them about .10 each. I personally like them.

I also have gold mystery snails, and they are pretty big. They did lay eggs and gave birth to at least 30 babies which is cool for now, but I know it will be nuisance in the future.

I think nerite snails look cool, but they only breed in salt water. And I do not like anything I can not breed.

Ramshorn snails look amazing in my opinion, but they like to eat plants I think. And they also breed really easily.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

They're so interesting. Looking forward to getting some interesting little critters in my tank in a few weeks I think I will do some research on both mts and apple snails, and see how I go. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ramshorn snails stay small but are able to breed asexually and the eggs are so small you can't see them. I found them in my tank just after buying new plants. My wife hates them but I don't mind them. Mystery snails do require both a male and female to breed but the female is able to store sperm and use it several months later. My lone mystery snail managed to reproduce after it had been in the tank for a few months and I had already removed one or two egg clusters. When the mystery snail population took off the ramshorn snails declined but now it's swinging back the other way somewhat. Both types of snails keep my glass clean and eat decaying plant matter but don't harm the healthy plants.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Snails are asexual meaning their doesn't need to be two to reproduce, but I only know of one tank that has has snails reproduce in it I hear it is fairly rare.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to think about. I'm not sure I'll be breeding the snails or shrimp, but if it happens - it happens.

Tags
rim, shrimp, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com