Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Snails or shrimp...or both?

Im still in the process of cycling my 180 litre tank...and I'm trying to work out my stock list. I will definitely have guppies and mollies, as I'm transferring them from my smaller tank. I would also like a school of tetras of some kind and about 6-8 glass catfish. I was originally going to get a mystery snail or golden snail (from memory) but am getting more interested in the idea of having a few shrimp
Can I have both or will one eat the other? And will they get along with my current stock list?

Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
For the shrimps, if you are starting I would recommend Red Cherry Shrimps. They are able to survive if you provide a lot of hiding spots such as java moss.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

H have mystery snails and ghost shrimp and they get along fine. If one of the shrimp dies the snails will eat the dead one but they leave the live ones alone. I have even seen the shrimp riding on the back of a snail before. I have a well planted aquarium with a lot of java fern and some hornwort and the shrimp like to hang out in the plants.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes, I do like the look of the red cherry shrimp. So, they won't get eaten by my mollies if I give them heaps of hiding places? I don't think I can have a well planted tank, as I don't have any co2...will the shrimp be ok with artificial plants? And I'll get some of that java fern/moss too.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycie
Yes, I do like the look of the red cherry shrimp. So, they won't get eaten by my mollies if I give them heaps of hiding places? I don't think I can have a well planted tank, as I don't have any co2...will the shrimp be ok with artificial plants? And I'll get some of that java fern/moss too.
you can still do a well planted tank with no co2 .. there are quite a few low light plants that aren't demanding
Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh good I will be on the look out for low light plants then! Yay, getting so excited about stocking!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have Java fern, hornwort, anubius nana and some type of crypt. The plants are all doing very well with no CO2. The lignting is nothing fancy just a single bulb for plant growth in the hood. I put in some liquid fertalizer once in a while but I don't think the plants even need it. I started with just one or two java ferns and now have it all over the tank and I have to remove about half the hornwort every two weeks or else it would overgrow the surface of the tank.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dont know much about shrimp but dont get snail unless you are willing to either scrap egg sacs off the side or get ridr of the babies
Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataichi
I have Java fern, hornwort, anubius nana and some type of crypt. The plants are all doing very well with no CO2. The lignting is nothing fancy just a single bulb for plant growth in the hood. I put in some liquid fertalizer once in a while but I don't think the plants even need it. I started with just one or two java ferns and now have it all over the tank and I have to remove about half the hornwort every two weeks or else it would overgrow the surface of the tank.
Thanks for the information as soon as I get back from my trip, I'll take another trip to my lfs!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckitrick
I dont know much about shrimp but dont get snail unless you are willing to either scrap egg sacs off the side or get ridr of the babies
Oh, we'll I don't particularly want 100's of snails :/ and scrapping eggs off glass does not sound appealing. Are all snails like this? Maybe if I just get one apple snail...? Anybody know more about snails?

Tags
rim, shrimp, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com