So say I WANTED to breed pond snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, this is funny because I was just going to post this same question. I have pest snails in at least two of my tanks and I hate to see them go to waste. Did you decide what you're going to do as far as the snails?

I think once I get that tank, which won't be for a while, I'll try the pond snail colony in a large jar. It can go next to the algae rock colony.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

I just got some baby pond snails. Really cute! They look like they could be apple snails but they are a weird color.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did you get them on purpose, and if you did - are you adding them to a main tank or keeping them on purpose?

I saw a couple tiny snails I assume are pond snails this morning on my tank's walls. I guess I didn't rinse the plants well enough. Maybe I'll learn the bleach ratio and start dipping them before planting. Thought I was careful.

Could you really have accidentally gotten Apple snails somehow?

Here are pics from Google of baby apple (top) and baby pond (bottom) snails...does either look like what you saw?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425414925.426802.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425414945.652133.jpg

I got them on purpose actually. They look exactly like the bottom one. Do you know what species that is?

No, I don't. I just googled, "baby pond snail" and the pic came up. The page it was on wasn't specific.

~ Sent with an unladen European swallow

Well at least we know its not an apple snail haha.

So it's possible just to put snails in a jar for them to breed? Trying to figure out how to do this without them living in my tank

literally stick them in a jar, add some java moss. Change half the water or so every few days or so, add air stone if you want.

I borrowed a 20 long from a buddy to work on some stuff. I took a few gallons from my main tank and put it in the 20. I did what I needed to do then let it sit for a while. I was going to use it as seed water fro the 55 Ive been working on.

Well long story short when I FINALLY went to empty the thing there was this beast moving around inside. Apparently a baby pond snail must have been sucked up in the water and transferred. It was near the size of a DIME when I pulled him out. He was so large I actually put him BACK in my main tank to re establish some sort of colony (for feeding my puffers and yoyo [RIP] )

Anyway these things are tanks and will survive a lot so long as there is food, air and clean water. The only thing I have found they are overly sensitive to is calcium loss. I literally lost my entire colony in my main tank. I noticed all their shells turning white and found out it was the PH balance I was using. That and pretty much all my fish were trained to eat them at that point.

Back
Top Bottom