somebody familiar with shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could run a sponge filter in the established tank OR possibly run the sponge filter in the new tank and add a portion of the filter media from the established tank. If you are still building the new tank then the former option might be better.

You could run a sponge filter in the established tank OR possibly run the sponge filter in the new tank and add a portion of the filter media from the established tank. If you are still building the new tank then the former option might be better.
as i stated before(or atleast i believe i did) i will not be using a filter at all. now do i need to add something? because my hob filter in my other tank has a small amount of brown algae like stuff i assume that is the bacteria and i have little cheap sponges i use to clean my glass fronts but i have some not used yet? but ya, no filter

Thats right...you did mention that (about no filter). Since you are using a power head for water movement it is conceivable that a strip of filter material or thin sponge placed tightly against one of the sides (hopefully out of view) could serve as the bio filter. BB establish themselves anywhere in the tank; the biomedia allows for a greater population.

Thats right...you did mention that (about no filter). Since you are using a power head for water movement it is conceivable that a strip of filter material or thin sponge placed tightly against one of the sides (hopefully out of view) could serve as the bio filter. BB establish themselves anywhere in the tank; the biomedia allows for a greater population.
ok so my lfs carries the small sponge filter medias i can grab one and put it in my big hob filter for a couple days to get the good bacteria? then just set it in the tank?

Not really sure how long it will take to reseed it (will let others chime in). Where you place should be where it receives flow from your power head and be somewhat out of the way (visually).

Any time cycling is better than none but I think you would need a week-10 days minimum to create a good base for a cycle, then after testing the water and finding a steady stable number for ammonia , nitrates and nitrites. You would need a few creatures to be doing a fish in cycle.

Did you read the article by Jetajockey...

Ok here is my plan I am going to let it go for about a week it's has Sand, a powerhead ,a snail(that I was trying to get rid of from my other tank[about the size of half a pee]) and a live plant and I'm going to do water changes daily during that time period (I broke the lights so the pictures aren't that good I will be getting a light tonight)

Attachments

• image-3326530339.jpg
    image-3326530339.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image-3349987525.jpg
    image-3349987525.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image-287273947.jpg
    image-287273947.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 43
  • image-158251702.jpg
    image-158251702.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 49
I think that sounds good.

Before coming to AA and finding out that I really needed to learn more about aquatic care, I always did my cycles w/o BB/seeded filter as I didn't even know what that was!

I started and ran several tanks that way, but since, I have set up several preparing the seeded stuff ahead of time and it has been flawless, as long as you start out slow on the bioload/adding fish my numbers were always very good.

If you have rocks/decorative stones you will be putting in you can add them to your existing tank too and they will start getting a little BB also.

Autumnsky said:
I think that sounds good.

Before coming to AA and finding out that I really needed to learn more about aquatic care, I always did my cycles w/o BB/seeded filter as I didn't even know what that was!

I started and ran several tanks that way, but since, I have set up several preparing the seeded stuff ahead of time and it has been flawless, as long as you start out slow on the bioload/adding fish my numbers were always very good.

If you have rocks/decorative stones you will be putting in you can add them to your existing tank too and they will start getting a little BB also.

I have had a lot of tanks and never cycled a lot of people think its wrong but my tanks are very successful!!

Back
Top Bottom