Spixi Snail - Tiger Nerite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Anyone know if these guys are desirable in a fish tank, in a shrimp tank?

Spixi - Understand they eat lots of other snail/eggs/young, and occasionally plants.

Do they cause cloudy water, nasty bioload?

ok with one or two or one, or ???

I wouldn't keep the spyxi, your shrimp need plants. Sounds like they will eat them.

One nerite per 5gallons is my rule.. You always have to supplement them.

Some people like keeping spixi's, i think they are pretty cool but there is some invasive issues with them so I don't even bother. Nerites are always fun, I keep a few dozen olive nerites, I don't supplement them with anything but they do well, there's plenty of biofilm for them to eat.

jetajockey said:
Some people like keeping spixi's, i think they are pretty cool but there is some invasive issues with them so I don't even bother. Nerites are always fun, I keep a few dozen olive nerites, I don't supplement them with anything but they do well, there's plenty of biofilm for them to eat.

:eek: what size tank is it? In larger tanks I know you'd be fine without supplementing. But smaller tanks don't have enough biofilm for all the shrimp and snails lol.

In the micro tanks if there is more than 1 per 5 gallons, I supplement. That's all I meant. Jeta knows his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom