Starting a new shrimp tank need some info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deeks14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Building a under gravel filter. How deep should leave the substrate .

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Building a under gravel filter. How deep should leave the substrate .

Also wondering is shrimp soil substrate harder to keep then ordinary gravel. If anybody could help that would be great as I'm ordering stuff this weekend

I honestly don't prefer shrimp substrate... They seem to do just as fine on regularly dark gravel. The aquarium substrate was just really tricky to keep clean, but I had a few fish as tank mates... So maybe you'd have better luck with just shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Was that just ordinary gravel first. Why did you change ?

Yes it was just regular black gravel from the lfs. When cleaning a shrimp tank you have to be really careful as to not suck up any of the shrimplets that's the size of a pin dot. The crud kept gathering between the rocks and was a pain to clean out. I like the sand a hundred times better.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410449492371.jpg
    1410449492371.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 1410449531367.jpg
    1410449531367.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 1410449555220.jpg
    1410449555220.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 68
Sand is for sure superior in shrimp tanks. Started with gravel in my 5.5 gallon and also went to sand within 4 months. The shrimp also seem to befit from not having to always climb over what seems like boulders to them.

Will sand work with an under gravel filter system

I don't believe so cause it will fall threw and clog it up. I haven't used a ugf in ages though.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use Fluval Stratum or Seachem's Flourite substrate but I also do live plants which is what those substrates are for; and shrimp. With those, I don't recommend an under gravel filter. If you're going with regular gravel, the under gravel filter will be fine. As for later thickness, I would keep it the same as you normally would

In my invertebrate (shrimp, snails, etc) I use sponge filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom