Suitable snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi after seeking advice on this site ive been informed that i have a problem with diatoms. Im after a good algae eating snail?? I dont want a snail that breeds to excess and causes my bioload problems in the future. My water parameters are good, pH is around 8.0 and my temp is 25oC. I have a plant substrate and black sand bed with live plants, driftwood and lava rock. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Nerite snails would work. They don't reproduce in freshwater. Only thing they leave white eggs (dots) on glass of tank. I have 3 of them and they don't lay too many eggs to bother me. Some don't like to see the dots everywhere though. I don't have algae at all either. I guess the snails are doing their job.

Nerite snails would work. They don't reproduce in freshwater. Only thing they leave white eggs (dots) on glass of tank. I have 3 of them and they don't lay too many eggs to bother me. Some don't like to see the dots everywhere though. I don't have algae at all either. I guess the snails are doing their job.

I like the look of the zebra nerites but didnt know much about them. Thanks

I have also been told tht with a sand substrate its good to have borrowing snails like the malaysian trumpet. From what i have been told these spread like wildfire so an not keen to have these. Firstly are there any other similar snails? And secondly do i really need borrowing snails?

I have 1 zebra and 2 tiger. I don't think you need a snail to burrow under the substrate. I got the nerite because they don't reproduce in my tank. I know most snails reproduce so be careful what you buy. Pond snails reproduce like crazy. You will hear people say "pest snails" which is referring to pond snails. They lay eggs all over the place and before you know it you have a ton of them in your tank.

I have 1 zebra and 2 tiger. I don't think you need a snail to burrow under the substrate. I got the nerite because they don't reproduce in my tank. I know most snails reproduce so be careful what you buy. Pond snails reproduce like crazy. You will hear people say "pest snails" which is referring to pond snails. They lay eggs all over the place and before you know it you have a ton of them in your tank.
I think I'm gonna buy a couple of nerites tomoz

Fwiw, nerite snails appear to think diatoms are candy. They eat them in preference to many other things. So that's good.

MT snails are actually very good algae eaters too, and if given something with algae on it, will swarm it to get as much as they can. But they are small, so they may take longer at first before you notice they're working. They don't lay eggs. They have live babies, a few at a time, which they release at the water surface at night.

They do breed fast, but you hardly see them most of the time simply because they do like to burrow. They help keep substrate from forming any gas pockets, and they don't eat plants. They are hard working clean up crew and if numbers grow too high, they're not hard to sell, or you can simply destroy the extras. Do not release spares.. if you have too many and don't want to or cannot sell them, kill them quickly and throw them away.

I have them in every tank, and would not be without them. I sell the extras two or three times a year and never have much trouble finding a buyer.

Back
Top Bottom