Tangerine Tiger Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
This is just a place to share your experiences, pics and comments about TT. :flowers:

For about a year and a half I have been trying to get some of these shrimp, this week finally, I will have a small colony.

Feel free to post your pics/ tanks, especially parameters, if you feel you are successful, and also if you aren't, and any issues or problems, to possibly help us all out. :thanks:

I have 5+1 on the way! Didn't take me nearly as long to find them, but I have a strange feeling that I won't be able to keep them too long. I have lost my RCS a few times before. I am new to RCS (1 year) and have much to learn. I will be putting them in with RCS in a tank at 75C, TDS ~400 ppm, pH 8.2, 0 nitrogens, KH = 5-7, GH = 14-17. I can't really do much better than that, so I really hope they'll accept those conditions. They are said to be hardy.

Nice to have a handy bit of info like that. The ones I am getting are raised for a couple years in the water from the area. Though my water has almost 0 kH. So I have to add Magnesium and calcium and a pinch of baking soda, just to get it to register on the test.

Previously I tried OEBT and failed I believe due to the low minerals. These TT are much hardier.

The green babaulti shrimp I ordered came first, so they're in the tank. Hopefully the TT's will get shipped soon. I think it's possible to breed RCS, TT's and GB shrimp in the same tank.

I need to see the GB! I am wondering about that also - having them breed in the same tank. Heard there are some concerns with neos. Others heard no problem. Dont feel there would be with the TT.

I LOVE the bright green ones and always wanted them too!

My TT are scheduled for pick up mid afternoon Tuesday!

:) Exciting :)

I'll take some pics of the Green Babaultis!

What troubles with GB + neo have you heard of? I've looked around online and haven't read much about that, so any advice is very helpful.

So far they're as mild tempered as neos are, with the lone amano being the only mean one around. One GB flashes red when some neos get near his spot under driftwood, but this one has sort of a fiesty personality.

Neo's are getting berried now that I am slowly reducing TDS/KH/GH over the last two weeks. I am very lucky to have noticed 4 berried GB's at a time , two came berried in the mail and I guess two got berried in the last two days. There were a few molts in the tank and I checked them 1-by-1 as I placed them in the tank, so I know there were only 2 berried incoming. I didn't expect to see that so quickly, but it confirms they can breed in the same tank.

Now to pray for keeping the TT's alive when they arrive...

Here are some pics:
Green Babaulti with RCS.
The last picture has a reddish-pink GB in the center defending his small territory from approaching RCS. Are GB territorial?

Attachments

• 20150503_234241.jpg
    20150503_234241.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20150503_234209.jpg
    20150503_234209.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20150503_233015.jpg
    20150503_233015.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 20150503_232544.jpg
    20150503_232544.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 134
So lovely. Where did you get them?

Honestly there have been so few threads and information in general regarding Babaulti Shrimp, I just don't know.

What I heard, and this was a couple years ago and as a disclaimer I am not a scientist, especially not a shrimp scientist, lol, is that there COULD be breeding between Neos and Babaulti. And not to put them together.

Possible breeding causing offspring to be sterile, like a donkey horse mule thing.

I have a couple contacts who are scientific sorts and will send a couple PM's and see if they know of any documentation/actual facts. They might even see this.

My understanding about territory is Tigers (I hear TT's are not very aggressive compared to regular Tigers) would be the most aggressive. Heard, not from experience.

There was great concern to me for having the TT and Neos together for a while before I have heard quite a number of people keeping them together and not having any problems. Its not like the little guys aren't gonna have enough food in my tanks. As for the Babaulti, they are really beautiful. I like the blue ones too, hardly ever see them though.

I would love to have the GB too!!! Those are a nice green. But you have one pinkish???

So lovely. Where did you get them?

Honestly there have been so few threads and information in general regarding Babaulti Shrimp, I just don't know.

What I heard, and this was a couple years ago and as a disclaimer I am not a scientist, especially not a shrimp scientist, lol, is that there COULD be breeding between Neos and Babaulti. And not to put them together.

Possible breeding causing offspring to be sterile, like a donkey horse mule thing.

I have a couple contacts who are scientific sorts and will send a couple PM's and see if they know of any documentation/actual facts. They might even see this.

My understanding about territory is Tigers (I hear TT's are not very aggressive compared to regular Tigers) would be the most aggressive. Heard, not from experience.

There was great concern to me for having the TT and Neos together for a while before I have heard quite a number of people keeping them together and not having any problems. Its not like the little guys aren't gonna have enough food in my tanks. As for the Babaulti, they are really beautiful. I like the blue ones too, hardly ever see them though.

I would love to have the GB too!!! Those are a nice green. But you have one pinkish???

I have regular tigers and carbon rili in the same tank with no issues. Looking forward to seeing your tangerines!

Jumping up and down with happiness and look what I saw after picking up all my little treasures!

60074-albums13090-picture68869.jpg

Here goes...drumroll pleeeeaaase!

Tangerine Tigers, even better than others I had seen but did not buy. Local hobbyist breeder getting out of the TT shrimp breeding. He gave me a bunch of stuff for the tanks. So much shrimp stuff, minerals special foods for the white shrimp and red and TT, ceramic shrimp hide looks like a stack of bamboo. TDS meter, tests, air pump, shrimp net, too cute it is a real telescoping shrimp net! Special substrate Up Aqua for shrimp. New Sponge filter. Ah, I am boring you without pics! lol

Opened bag to acclimate
60074-albums13090-picture68867.jpg

These are the pics straight from the cell phone and these guys had just been caught, bagged and traveled for 4 hours time and they looked this nice!
60074-albums13090-picture68866.jpg

With Fissidens not sure maybe Geppi
60074-albums13090-picture68865.jpg

Here is a sweet saddled female.
60074-albums13090-picture68859.jpg

TT party!
60074-albums13090-picture68861.jpg

Berried female though she has a small load
60074-albums13090-picture68860.jpg

Blue Velvet with a little TT baby
60074-albums13090-picture68868.jpg

More tank mates
60074-albums13090-picture68864.jpg

Ballerina BV
60074-albums13090-picture68863.jpg

Very pleased, exceeded expectations and a closeout deal ~28- 30 shrimp for 40. I am still reeling from the deal! Yipee!!! :D

Wow they look great! Nice deal too. Unfortunately my TT's arrived with a burst bag, so I am going to reorder. Will update when they arrive. I got the GB's from The Aquatic Arts website.

LOL @ your rainbow pic btw. I was also excited when I got my GB's... and equally deflated when I found the TT's bag busted.

I would describe my GB's as default green, but they change their color slowly to suit their environment or mood. Sometimes they turn brownish on Catappa Leaves, dark gray when walking on the gray EcoComplete substrate, and even pink-red when interested in the RCS. I saw them only briefly as blueish when they arrived, but I haven't yet seen orange which is apparently also common. They're very cool to watch because of their coloring and interesting shape.

As for breeding, RCS are neocaridina davidi, TT are caridina serrata, and GB are caridina babaulti. Shrimp (or any other animal) only have the chance to interbreed if they are the same genus (ie: neocaridina), but they won't necessarily do so. From what I've read, it's apparently possible, though actually highly unlikely that TT's and GB's will breed, but I don't think it will happen. The RCS shouldn't interbreed with either of the two.

I am really excited to see if I can successfully keep the three together and have them breed. I will hopefully post some nice images once I get the TT's :).

I received my TT's today! They're gorgeous critters and right out of the gate they're already aggressively stealing shrimp pellets from GB and RCS :) But the Amano still steals shrimp pellets from anyone!

My tank is still doing well! None of the shrimp are aggressive to each other, but the tangerine tigers are greedy feeders. The green Babaulti are having a hard time finding food, completely outcompeted by the TTs and RCS for food, so it am have started pulverizing the shrimp food so they have a chance. While the tank used to have four pregnant GBs, only a few baby GBs can be found. Crawling with RCS babies though, so I can't complain too much. No pregnant TTs yet, though some are saddled. Fingers crossed.

Give me an update autumnsky!!

My tank is still doing well! None of the shrimp are aggressive to each other, but the tangerine tigers are greedy feeders. The green Babaulti are having a hard time finding food, completely outcompeted by the TTs and RCS for food, so it am have started pulverizing the shrimp food so they have a chance. While the tank used to have four pregnant GBs, only a few baby GBs can be found. Crawling with RCS babies though, so I can't complain too much. No pregnant TTs yet, though some are saddled. Fingers crossed.

Give me an update autumnsky!!

I have tigers with my carbon rili and have noticed they're definitely greedy feeders! I only feed my shrimp tanks every other day. Lots of babies from both types of shrimp though :flowers:

I have tigers with my carbon rili and have noticed they're definitely greedy feeders! I only feed my shrimp tanks every other day. Lots of babies from both types of shrimp though :flowers:

Ah interesting color match up with the TT's and carbon rilis. Maybe consider adding some Green Babaulti in there? That'll mix things up :)

Autumn just pointed me to this thread :) I just got 10 of these little guys a few days ago from blue crown aquatics

I was just checking in quickly before running some errands so I wanted to find the thread before I forgot. I will post some pics soon :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom