Tank inhabitants limits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are the approximate limits per gal for neos? Reorganizing some tanks and need to know. Also any tips for catching these crazy fast fools?

What are the approximate limits per gal for neos? Reorganizing some tanks and need to know. Also any tips for catching these crazy fast fools?

Neos ??

Neons ?

I prefer 20g Longs or larger for Neons so I can keep a big group. They display so much better in large groups. Min tank ? 10g I've done it, they did ok, but I currently have 21 Neons in a 55g and they are super active.
IMG_3984.jpg

Catching them ? 2 nets, 1 big one. Or lower the water or turn off the tank light. Or make a fish trap.

With nets, go slow. Ease up underneath them. If you flail about you risk hurting the fish.

Sorry I should have been more specific trying to catch 50+ neocardinia (sp) shrimp in a heavily decorated 70g tank

I'd first remove the hornwort in small portions if possible. Be sure to shake it to dislodge any shrimp hiding in there.
A small net could be used to catch a majority of them. I've seen some nicer nets that have a semirigid bowl area that are supposed to be safer for shrimp. You could also siphon some out but that might be a bit harsh. That hardscape will be tricky to work around.

I'd consider a bottle trap as well for Shrimp.

I've had about 100 RCS in a 10g. They were doing fine.

Otherwise, just gently remove plants, swish in a bucket of tank water and gently start netting Shrimp . Mine were easy to catch. Just use a fine mesh net.

Or set some yummy food inside a clear glass jar layer on its side.

Back
Top Bottom