tank invaders?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeleyBurd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so my tank has been set up for a few months but just recently i while cleaning my tank i noticed ive got a few visitors. they seem to like to grow on my drift wood and my filter most. they dont move and it doesnt seem like they have any kind of apendages. they are all white and are about a third the size of a grain of rice. also, when i tak them off they kind of crunch so i am assuming they have a shell which is why i am assuming they are invertebrates. sorry about the quality of these pictures i used my phone. you can see them growing on the roots as well as on the drift wood (and my little shrimpette being nosey!) but you can use her as a guide for scale she is just a little ghost shrimp.

Attachments

• invaders.jpg
    invaders.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 132
  • invaders2.jpg
    invaders2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 118
could it be my snails?

i am thinking its my snails i have two nerite snails one tracked and on zebra. can they breed since they are different? or are they close enough to be able to breed? would they eggs just be duds kinda like a hen with no rooster?

Attachments

• snails.jpg
    snails.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 117
Yup! They look like nerite snail eggs to me. The eggs won't hatch, they need brackish water or something to hatch. My nerites go through stages were they lay tuns of eggs and then they will stop then later on they will lay more.

how much salt is considered backish? i add extra to keep everyone healthy and my shrimp seem to enjoy it not to mention my bumblebee goby seems to bath in it hahaha. (my boyfriend would be more excited about baby snails than i would be. ive got no room)

also, my supplier said i can add calcium to my water to ensure shell health. 1. is this nessesary? 2. how would i do that?

also, my supplier said i can add calcium to my water to ensure shell health. 1. is this nessesary? 2. how would i do that?

I toss a small piece of cuttlebone into my tanks for my snails. Just a dime sized piece so they can munch on it if they want, unless you see shell damage, you probably don't have to. I just do it to be safe.

KeeleyBurd said:
how much salt is considered backish? i add extra to keep everyone healthy and my shrimp seem to enjoy it not to mention my bumblebee goby seems to bath in it hahaha. (my boyfriend would be more excited about baby snails than i would be. ive got no room)

Sake got your calcium question, and I'll answer the nerite breeding question.

The most effective way to do it is to place the eggs themselves into a fully SaltWater tank then when they hatch start slowly bringing it down daily. By using a refractometer and insta ocean, you can accomplish this. When they are still young they should be in brackish water and when they're significantly bigger, they'll need to be dropped to salt water.

Good luck as it is a daunting process lol.

that wont hurt any of my other fish? also would it throw off my water parameters at all?
and that is the only reason why i want to do it. because i saw some at a shop a few days ago who had damaged shells and i dont even want to go there with mine! (considering i just absolutely love them hahaha)

(two gold balloon rams, one bumble bee goby, swamp darter, algae shrimp, ghost shrimp)

i have found a few baby baby snails in my tank would tht be from my nerites? i know there is always a possibility that they came in on my plants (although the sales girl swore up nd down that they have no snails and i am thinking to my self...i see one right there...)

KeeleyBurd said:
that wont hurt any of my other fish? also would it throw off my water parameters at all?
and that is the only reason why i want to do it. because i saw some at a shop a few days ago who had damaged shells and i dont even want to go there with mine! (considering i just absolutely love them hahaha)

(two gold balloon rams, one bumble bee goby, swamp darter, algae shrimp, ghost shrimp)

You would need to have the eggs in a different tank. Yes the salt would harm your fish, at least that much salt.

fishfanatic said:
You would need to have the eggs in a different tank. Yes the salt would harm your fish, at least that much salt.

She was referring to the cuttlebone :p.

And no the cuttlebone will not throw your tank off.

If you want to set up a separate SW tank, you'll hatch some, if not, the eggs are harmless and tasty snacks for fish.

The snails, we will need a picture, but I bet they're pond snails or ramshorn snails.

She was referring to the cuttlebone :p.

And no the cuttlebone will not throw your tank off.

If you want to set up a separate SW tank, you'll hatch some, if not, the eggs are harmless and tasty snacks for fish.

The snails, we will need a picture, but I bet they're pond snails or ramshorn snails.
i am thinking they are probably pond snails! thank goodness i got rid of them! also, i went out and bought some cuttlebone today! hopefully they like it. i heard you can also use blanched green beans? will that have the same effect?

KeeleyBurd said:
i am thinking they are probably pond snails! thank goodness i got rid of them! also, i went out and bought some cuttlebone today! hopefully they like it. i heard you can also use blanched green beans? will that have the same effect?

Probably not the same.
And make sure to only break off a dime sized piece of it.

MABJ said:
Probably not the same.
And make sure to only break off a dime sized piece of it.

Okay! thanks so much for your advice! something i am just clueless about!

KeeleyBurd said:
Okay! thanks so much for your advice! something i am just clueless about!

No problem :). I'm not saying the greens are bad, they just will do different things, of course.

Back
Top Bottom