That's a terrible idea! Or... Is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laeris

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an utterly unreasonable attraction to duckweed. Love how it covers the whole surface, love the sort of ephemeral effect it lends, giggle at inverts who apparently defy gravity and wander around the underside. We've all read stories about choked filters, etc. They're the only reason I don't have duckweed taking over the whole house.

I'm still open to being reasonable. What are some experiences, good and bad, you've had with duckweed or similar?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's a plague. Salvimia minima is a far better option. Frogbit, water lettuce, even red root floaters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's the only floating plant that will grow in my tanks and it's still not doing that well lol. I like the stuff. My tanks have too much flow for anything else.

Caleb

It ended up in my Endlers tank somehow and quickly turned into a mess. The fish like some water movement so the high filter output was pushing the duckweed into the water column where it would get sucked into and clog the filter intake guard (see mess here). Finally ordered a floating plant guard that keeps it under control. Grows so quickly I'm still taking out 1 or 2 scoops a week!

It's a plague. Salvimia minima is a far better option. Frogbit, water lettuce, even red root floaters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My setup is rather low tech-Fluval rings, Purigen and floss in the Whisper box, heater, air stone. Mingdak® LED Aquarium Light Kit, 18 5050 SMDs works well, only low light plants. Those excellent suggestions seem like they wouldn't be very comfortable in a nano tank, seeing as the leaves get on to two inches. If I had a 55 gal, it'd be Salvimia all the way. So pretty!

I think I'll look around and try to find those in person, could be it only sounds like it'd grow too large.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446330544.863389.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446330544.863389.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 74

Trying to decide on floaters for both my 16g and the Endlers grow out tank. Between savinia minima and dwarf water lettuce which do you prefer? Both tanks are medium light.

My setup is rather low tech-Fluval rings, Purigen and floss in the Whisper box, heater, air stone. Mingdak® LED Aquarium Light Kit, 18 5050 SMDs works well, only low light plants. Those excellent suggestions seem like they wouldn't be very comfortable in a nano tank, seeing as the leaves get on to two inches. If I had a 55 gal, it'd be Salvimia all the way. So pretty!

I think I'll look around and try to find those in person, could be it only sounds like it'd grow too large.
I've never had any floaters multiply and spread as quickly as duckweed. I have najas in my 5g shrimp tank and it's great, the shrimp love it and it looks like a shrimp Christmas tree! That tank is low to medium light.

I love the floating baby tears in my 10g jungle. Grows very well with dangling roots. Tank is no tech.

I've never had any floaters multiply and spread as quickly as duckweed. I have najas in my 5g shrimp tank and it's great, the shrimp love it and it looks like a shrimp Christmas tree! That tank is low to medium light.

I love the floating baby tears in my 10g jungle. Grows very well with dangling roots. Tank is no tech.

I need some of this invasive duckweed because what I have barely grows at all :D

Caleb

It ended up in my Endlers tank somehow and quickly turned into a mess. The fish like some water movement so the high filter output was pushing the duckweed into the water column where it would get sucked into and clog the filter intake guard (see mess here). Finally ordered a floating plant guard that keeps it under control. Grows so quickly I'm still taking out 1 or 2 scoops a week!

Oh noes! How inconvenient it tried to kill your filter! I put a stocking on mine to keep future fry out hehehe I'm too scaredy to chance my shrimp with anything other than otocinclus. Though I do adore how shimmer gorgeous rasboras are and understand they don't eat many/any fry XD

Still, I don't feel up to murdering entire nations of plants on the daily. ? Hmm.. That's three for omg you're insane, don't stifle the tank and one can't get to grow so far.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446331338.065383.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446331338.065383.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 75
I need some of this invasive duckweed because what I have barely grows at all :D

Caleb

See, that's something that puzzles me. From all accounts, duckweed is so prolific there are products developed to take it out XD What's going on with yours? Not brackish, right? What are params from last check?

Baby tears don't love me. Had a spike from how much they don't appreciate my sensibilities and me not noticing. What a mess that was! I thought my fiancée rescued nearly everyone. No... Of that fiasco, 1 of 15 DBV (lost the berried female), 1 of 5 bees and the snail survived. Makes me cold just thinking of it.

Forget duckweed! Muahahaha 10 of these for $4 is not too shabby. And a filter guard? Winner! I'll post in the buy/sell/trade about the quality, etc. once I have it all sorted.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446335780.610106.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446335780.610106.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 66
See, that's something that puzzles me. From all accounts, duckweed is so prolific there are products developed to take it out XD What's going on with yours? Not brackish, right? What are params from last check?

I have 2 planted tanks. I got 1000 duckweed for like $5 and the stuff will not start growing ?

Caleb

Ooohhhhh!! Maybe they're not eating well, since there's a bit of competition! I forget, do you dose liquid or use tabs? And maybe, from the gist I'm getting here, that isn't such a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom