Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2019, 02:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They’re moving!

So my 29 gallon was originally supposed to be set up with fun things for my 15 month old to watch and it turns out tiny shrimp and Pygmy cories are way more enjoyable to me than him. So I decided something bigger and easier for little eyes to see was called for!

Glo tiger barbs are currently in quarantine in a 10 gallon with sand that will become my dedicated shrimp/pygmy Cory tank once I’m sure they’re healthy. Now obviously I want to get most of the shrimp out before the barbs go in and while they can go into a 5 gallon bucket for a bit, they probably can’t stay for as long as it would take me to hunt down a bunch of shrimp and a handful of cories. (small space; please don’t say another tank... I wish, I really do!)

So I ordered the ‘Finnex External Refugium Breeder Hang-On Box with Water Pump’ online and it should be here soon. It’s a small physical space (a little under a gallon) but because it will have flow it will share filtration and heat with the main tank. My thought was to set up the refugium stuff it with hornwort and gradually over a few days or so pop the shrimp into it until I get as many as I can. I am resigned to some of them getting missed but the 29 is pretty heavily planted. Maybe a few will evade the barbs!

By the time I’m done it will probably be cramped in there but still well filtered.
Then I can move them more or less all at once to their new home without them crossing paths with the semi aggressive always hungry tiger barbs!

What do you think? Will that work? any better ideas for moving a colony of RCS? Has anyone had luck with a particular design of cherry shrimp ‘trap’ etc?

Old 12-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I kept something similar in my SW, a couple SW hermit crabs in a breeder net with macroalgae that was covered in fuzzy algae I didn't want in my DT. It worked pretty well and finally after a few months, I got the macroalgae cleaned off and decided the hitchhiking Hermits could stay.

In your case the little baby shrimp, if any, could escape. Sounds like a well thought out plan. Just lightly feed the ones in the refugium in case ammonia builds up since there might be less flow. And I might add the new pwc water through the shrimp space to keep it very clean.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Since it’s only for a few days I might just let them scavenge on the hornwort instead of feeding inside the refugium. Good point about the little ones. It has a grate over the outflow, I put a bit of sponge behind it so maybe that will help. Though I have a few berried girls. If the little ones hatch inside the refugium they will probably end up back in the tank.

Fortunately/ unfortunately breeding has really taken off so I know there are probably a lot of little ones I won’t see/catch before the barbs get moved. There is a fairly dense patch of hornwort and under both ornaments the space is filled with thick clumps of untamed moss ... so maybe a few will be able to evade the barbs. I’d love to keep a breeding group of cherries in the 29 even knowing the babies will be snacks but I’m pretty sure the adults would be goners too.

Unfortunately the part of this that was less thought out, (or actually was thought about but I couldn’t figure out how to avoid it) is that the refugium didn’t fit with my cover on the tank. I lowered the water level a bit and hoped my 2 remaining bamboo shrimp could keep from walk abouts for just a couple days, but I don’t see them in there this morning. Don’t see them on the floor either so maybe they’re just hiding but you know how bamboo shrimp are... if they did take a walk I don’t think I’ll get anymore. I love them but I just can’t keep them inside the tank!

I was planning on moving the RCS and Pygmy cories. Does anyone have experience with tiger barbs and amano shrimp? Are they big enough that the barbs will leave them alone? Maybe I should move them too into the 10 and get a group of ghost shrimp. They get bigger and are cheap enough that I won’t be as disappointed if they become snacks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	605AAE43-FDC6-4FC4-BEC4-1CF365010191.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	314607   Click image for larger version

Name:	601AB7AB-3C8E-4C8C-B32F-E88030AFC837.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	314608  

Old 12-05-2019, 12:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not sure about the TB and Amanos. They are a bit aggressive so maybe caution.

As for the "Ghost" shrimp (not really the real Ghost shrimp as those need brackish) I got 3 (4 but one died right away) at Petco to make sure a tank I had was safe for shrimp and it was and since I didn't necessarily want them to die / be eaten, I put them in the Wine Glass tank and there are maybe 50 now!

So maybe the ones you get would be the same kind and breed for you also.

You can't see them very well in a heavily planted tank but they are funny looking when you sit there watching them and have big googly eyes and flutter all about.

When they eat, you can see them better as they aren't all clean then! lol

Mine are very social and do not bother the fish. It seems they could be some sort of variety like Indian Whisker Shrimp Macrobrachium, with long arms - the 2 sets of front claws are longer . Not too easy to see long arms when they are young but they grow about 2x the length as regular shrimp.

And as a side warning they are a bit larger then Amano shrimp one of mine, a momma is XXXL, but if they start getting larger than that it could be a Prawn -sometimes get mixed into the groups of feeder shrimp!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 12-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think perhaps I will move the amanos too then. I only have a few of them right now and I’d hate for them to be eaten. Perhaps I’ll see how the TB do with the ‘misc petco shrimp’ and if they aren’t hunting them maniacally I can move a few amanos back in. The amanos do such a great job with misc algae. I’m spoiled; with a ton of plants and mostly algae grazers in the tank I rarely have to do anything but prune.

I’ve always been pretty careful before in trying to get true ghost shrimp from the grab bag that is feeder shrimp; because I’ve always had pretty small fish and I didn’t want any monster shrimp that would eventually consider nano fish a snack. Now that I have the barbs going in there it would be great to get some shrimp that could hold their own against them! And it would be very cool to get some ghost-like shrimp that could breed in freshwater.
Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The breeding from my Ghost shrimp was a big surprise. I figured the feeder Ghost shrimp would disappear within a few months! Previously I was instructed that when the shrimp had a sharp angle on their back, they were the kind that required brackish water for the larval shrimp development. JK - they have lots of babies in FW!

Hope you find the ones which reproduce! There have been several people who stated they have had them breed as well.

Community Rules

FW & SW

Tags
moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com