Thinking About Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConVex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking about getting a mystery snail or two for my 10 gallon. Just to help with some of the maintenance. My question is will they thrive on algae alone or would I need to actively feed them? Is there any special care involved?

I feed mine Snail Jello. It's a gelatin mixture that has some fish food flakes, vegetable baby food, a calcium source and unflavored gelatin. Those are the main ingredients but you can add other things. The calcium is important for the shell formation. I've seen recipes here and there. It can be cut into small pieces and kept in the freezer. I give it to mine 2-3 times a week.

I feed mine. And population is easy to control. They lay eggs above the water line that are easy to remove.

I’m also looking to get some snails. Our tank is pretty new though so I’m not sure if we should wait!!!!

You'll love them. I have four in twenty gal. I give them a small piece of veggie every other day,broci,peas,zucini. Just remove the skin an microwave them for.a.sec. They go.right after.them they have a large appetite. If no veggies around just take a sinking pellet.an break it up. I bought mine the size of a quarter three months ago, an a couple of them are.bigger than a.fifty cent piece.??

Attachments

• IMG_20180727_110534_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180727_110534_hdr.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20180727_110553_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180727_110553_hdr.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20180727_110621_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180727_110621_hdr.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 60
Thank You to everyone who replied, I think I have enough information to make a decision on my purchase. Happy fish keeping!

I’m also looking to get some snails. Our tank is pretty new though so I’m not sure if we should wait!!!!

Wait until your tank is cycled and stable. Than you should be good to go. Make sure your substrate and decorations are safe for invertebrates. Any heavy metals are toxic.

Back
Top Bottom