This snails - yey or ney?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex_da_fixeru

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, guys. This little guys appeared in my tank for some time. It is a fw medium planted tank. Would you keep them or try to get rid of them? And if it is the second choice, what would you do? Thank you!20170510_211008.jpg

On the left is a ramshorn, right is a pond snail. Some people don't like them but I don't mind them and have them both in my planted tank. They only eat plant matter if it is dying. Don't overfeed and the population shouldn't explode. Trying to get rid of them is more of a hassle than it is worth in my opinion.

I have both and not an issue for me unless over feeding. Also with lower pH and lower GH/KH, I think they may not be as big of issue, as I have heard not too sure on the higher pH and GH/KH as mine are in the low range.

They do poop quite a bit if you get a few too many. I throw my extras into a snail bucket/tank/vase depending what the situation is with the extra plants, more plants will change to larger container. Pond snails are great cleaners. RH just are cool, especially the colors more unique colors. I have all kinds.

Thank you so much for your insight. I decided to watch their numbers and keep it low.

I keep yo yo loaches in main tank to remove any :) (have a sneaking affection for snails having seen some great colours but yet to be keen on pond snails - although I like them in small tanks where easy to manage).

if you have any fish or shrimp in there you could grab a pair of tweezers and crush ones you see every now and then to feed them. the snail poo nourishes the plants and they also help the algae to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom