Tiger nerite problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found Tigger on his/her side and flipped him back over. He's not dead. He retreated to deep within the shell as I flipped him. That was about an hour and a half ago. Hasn't moved. Just sitting there on top of the sand. Everyone else is fine and dandy. Help?

Snails are cautious by nature. I'd say the best bet would be to gently place him in an easily visible location, with his opening in direct contact with a surface he can grab. A rock, or perhaps a front corner of the tank.
Then, be patient. He might not move for a full day. But if he hasn't moved in say... 36 hours, remove him and wiggle him in a container of tank water. I say this because I've had a dead snail simply fall out of his shell. And you don't wan that in your tank.

Snails are cautious by nature. I'd say the best bet would be to gently place him in an easily visible location, with his opening in direct contact with a surface he can grab. A rock, or perhaps a front corner of the tank.
Then, be patient. He might not move for a full day. But if he hasn't moved in say... 36 hours, remove him and wiggle him in a container of tank water. I say this because I've had a dead snail simply fall out of his shell. And you don't wan that in your tank.

Ew. I'll do that here soon. That would be rather gross.

One of my mystery snails stayed still for several days, thought for sure he was dead, but then he started moving around just fine. The rest of them started moving almost immediately.

My guess is stress. Most inverts are very sensitive to water parameter fluctuations. Since water changes are necessary, all I can recommend aside from wait and see is to carefully match temperature and ph of the new water when doing a change to minimize those fluctuations.

Back
Top Bottom