Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Traveling with shrimp/snails

So I'm on vacation 3 hours from my home. I found a lfs here that carries Amano shrimp (can't find them anywhere near my home) and some of the most beautiful nerite snails I've seen. Would a few shrimp and a snail survive the trip home in baggies? Is there something I should do to keep them more comfortable? It's only a 3 hour trip, I wouldn't be driving the way home, and we keep our car at about 73 degrees. I of course wouldn't pick them up until we are on our way home. Thanks

Old 08-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

That's a short trip; they should be fine. If possible, you might want to think about stopping off some place and getting a small styrofoam cooler big enough for the bags of shrimp and snails. It will help keep the temperature stable. Also, explain to the LFS that it will be several hours before they get to the destination tank. They may take that in consideration (bigger bag, O2, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Okay thanks so much. I figured it wasn't too long but I wanted to make sure. I'll see about getting a styrofoam box, that sounds like a good idea
Old 08-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most fish stores, if you tell them the animals will have a long trip before you get them home, will package them differently. I find it helps to exaggerate how long the trip will be by a couple of hours, just to be on the safe side.

Then they can either place fewer animals per bag, use a bigger bag, added oxygen. If they don't put some netting or paper towel or even some plant leaves in with the shrimp, ask them to please put in something of this type. It gives the shrimp something to cling to, which makes being sloshed around less stressful for them. Paper towel also provides hiding space, so it's not a bad choice.

If you can put the bags in a cheap styrofoam cooler, it will help keep the temps from changing too much, just use some newspaper or T shirts or something to keep the bags from rolling around.

Be prepared to drip acclimate when you get them home, at least for the shrimp. The snails are generally fairly hardy and should do fine.

Tags
rim, shrimp, shrimps, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com