Trumpet Snail Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prozium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So 20 gallon aquarium 13 snails (three born last day), planted nothing else present.

Ammonia 0
Nitrates 20ppm
pH 7.5

Half the aquarium is sand, half gravel.

1. They don't seem to be burrowing during the day.
2. 1/3 are on the glass- 3/4 the way up chillin. 1/3 are on gravel, the rest crawled to the far side of the sand rolled over and stayed there. When touched or moved so far they all show life.

What's up with that?

An hour before midnight is worth two in the morning.

I have a single MTS in my sand substrate tank, and it doesn't seem to burrow either. Maybe because there isn't any food for them.

I don't see them often in my 65g with Fluval stratum substrate.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Well the main thing is laying on their backs... alive but just laying there. Do yours do that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Yup. I believe mostly because they are night creatures, so they don't move, if at all, during the day.

Hope they aren't starving

MTS only need one to reproduce. Over feed your fish and you will have tons of them.

I started with 1 in my tank. Now I have thousands. In my case, dead fish and shrimps mostly contributed to the bloom of MTS. My BN pleco went missing and we never found the corpse. Guess who fed of it.

Well it's only snails right now they were the first additional

I have hundreds of MTS and nearly all of them bury themselves during the day, but a few stay out on the leaves. When I feed the fish in the morning there is still no sign of them but when I feed the fish in the evening they appear like magic and stay out for the rest of the evening even with the lights on. At lights off they really travel and the glass is covered. Come morning, they're gone again. Fascinating creatures and really useful in a planted tank. They don't eat live plants and turn the substrate over slowly so it doesn't get stagnant. What with them and the red cherry shrimp I have never found a dead fish, but I have found a couple of small skulls.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's the setup I'm going fir actually

mine did the same thing the first day they were in there.

Now they are invisible during the day, hidden beneath my sand. During the night and early morning they are sprawled all over the sides of my tank devouring all my brown algae. Just give them time :)

Mine are about half and half

20 gallon
10 gallon sump
diy filter floss on top of carbon on top of ceramic in a 4inch tube 12 inches long
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrates vary slightly
planted
rcs
mts
guppy

Back
Top Bottom