Unidentified invertebrate explosion in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lixre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Little bit of backstory: I have two 5g tanks, both planted, both with a betta and a few shrimp. I had spoken to my boyfriend a little while back about possibly getting a piece of driftwood for one of the tanks, but because that month had been crazy I forgot about it. Cue about two weeks ago when I come home from work to find a nice piece of driftwood in that tank... with everything outdoorsy still attached. Apparently when he went for a run around the lake he found it and thought of me. It was a nice thought, but... he didn't do anything to clean it up or sterilize it. I took it out as soon as I saw it and it's been sitting on the side until I can scrub it down and boil it. I didn't see anything adverse in the tank for about a week, but then we had a huge heat wave here in San Diego and one of my tanks had some serious algae. That's when I noticed these things showing up practically overnight.

Now I have a conundrum and I'm about at my wits end.

Does anyone have any idea what these are? They're very small. Are they juvenile zebra mussels? He said he got the wood from a nearby lake we frequent and I remember seeing a sign warning about them. I know they reproduce crazy fast, but these don't seem very bivalve. When I look at them on the side of the tank they even have tiny mouths like my snails. If not zebra mussels, what are they? I've searched the internet over a couple of days looking up different things pertaining to juvenile mussels or invertebrates but have drawn a blank. I'm wondering if I can salvage this or if I need to nuke the tank from orbit and restart from the ground up. Bleh. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• DSC02077.jpg
    DSC02077.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC02066.jpg
    DSC02066.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 99
Pond snails, I believe. Manually remove what you can (a lettuce leaf overnight works well) and be careful not to overfeed and they shouldn't be a long term problem. Basically starve them out. Good luck!

I'm more than a little relieved that it isn't what I thought it was, haha. Doing a search right now for pond snail brought up one picture that looks eerily similar to what they look like on the side as they're eating. I'll try what you suggested. Thank you for the quick reply :3

bigbanker said:
Eventually it would starve. Ideally never the solution. Go with the lettuce and a teaspoon of patience

They won't starve if you continue to supply pond snails, they are easy to find and you never have to purchase them.

And if this is undesirable they will eat frozen foods.

Back
Top Bottom