Upgrading vampire shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I've been thinking for a while about upgrading my vampire tank. Well I've found a 30 gallon that I'm thinking of buying, but my worry is, can I just move everything over including my old filter, deco etc and then my shrimp? I don't have space for 3 tank's running so I'll need to do this straight away.
And will my filter feeders manage ok with this? I'd hate to lose them.
Thanks Lesley

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

I would rinse the new tank with vinegar spray to get all the old residue off but yes. Give it a good rinse You need to transfer all your items over including the tank water

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And give it a week because the bb needs to grow on your substrate, decor a

And walls. Sorry about multiple post my phone acting weird

No worries my fone can act the same!
And thanks for the reply , I'll make sure I give it a good rinse and let things settle.

When I do a switch (obviously good clean and extra rinsing under the rim as well, I use baking soda and vinegar btw) I will do a filter clean and then a couple weeks later do the switch so as not lose too many BB, the 2 weeks helps get things closer to normal.

Take out the top half of the water into your bucket.

Then remove the plants, decor, wood, etc and shrimp to your bucket with the heater and filter if you can set it in there on a rock or something or just the filter media in the water.

I do a gentle rinse with treated water swirling it around just a bit and rinse a couple times - then into the new tank. If it really isn't very dirty you can do the rinse once. Reminder to unplug heater and not forget to replug it back in later!!! Not that i have ever burned out a heater or forgot to plug it back in or anything :EEK:

Then just put things back into the tank from the bucket, including the water. Then the shrimp, then slowly add water back into the tank. If your tap water is majorly different from your tank water more slowly, like acclimating the new tank. If not really different then not as much to be concerned with. Personally, my water is softer in my tanks than straight from the tap so I would add the rest of the water more slowly over a couple hours. (or save more of the tank water to start).

Want to see some pics of the new tank!!!

Thanks Autumn, I've been offered 2 tank's for free hopefully getting them this week! Definitely pic's will follow.
Oh and I'm wanting to add new sand don't want my old stuff full of mts! Should that be okay?

Well I went ahead and bought another juwel tank with stand it should be with me nxt Tuesday, so now I need to get some sand ordered. Oh and it's a 30 gallon, hubby thinks I'm mad buying another tank for my vampire shrimp!

If you are adding new substrate, I wouldn't clean the filter media at all for at least a couple weeks maybe up to 4 if your water stays in check. All the bb possible for the new tank. Then a couple of weeks afterwords (depending on water parameters of course). So are you getting all the tanks or just the new one?

That's fine, I bought a new one and also got another off my friend ;)

Ooooohhhhh an exxxxtra tank?!? What to do? Congrats!!!

I know! I'm thinking, probably inverts. Love inverts!
Thanks! Autumn :)

Here's an updated pic of their tank, I'm getting there slowly :) 1428243908405.jpg

30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Back
Top Bottom