Urgent: Mystery Snail Has HUGE hole in shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aceraso

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My mystery snail escaped her tank this morning and fell from the dresser I had it on. Needless to say, the shell was damaged. Badly. There is a large hole in the shell where the body is protruding out of and I have no idea how to fix it.

The snail is currently still active and seems fine, but I'm sure it is not. Any help here would be appriciated! I've had problems with my snails since I brought them home from GA, and I'm unsure of what's wrong. They have shell deterioration, which doesn't make sense because the water where I'm from is hard, not soft, so there should be plenty of calcium for them, right? I've given them calcium suppliments but it hasn't helped, and it's been difficult to get them to eat spinach.

I have to changd their water constantly because the tank has no filter; it's just a fish bowl. But I've kep the tank very clean and made sure to never use soap, only water when I clean the bowl out.

I really need some help with this because I don't want to kill my snails. Thank you all!

Repairs have worked, excellent resource for snails above.

Try some Crab Cuisine or Shrimp Cuisine by Hikari (not shrimp pellets as they are just food made out of shrimp for fish) they are created with the needs of creatures which need minerals to make their shells.

What are you feeding the snail? A bit of blanched spinach is very good for them. You can do a flake of oatmeal, the long cooking kind and see if the snail likes that. This is a new find I will be trying in m tank this week. Not the kind with salt and flavor in the packets either. It has beta glucan which is good for people as well as snails I understand.

Maybe get a bigger tank when at all possible, those snails like to cruise around. You might be able to make a lid for it with plastic needle point base
they come already round
Plastic Canvas, Circles
or cheaper and you can cut to fit
Darice Plastic Canvas, Clear

Snails like to get out of the water to lay eggs or whatever so see if you can leave an inch of space at the top.

Try a bird Cuttlebone from the pet bird section with no colors or flavors on it.

Chop or break it into pieces put it in the tank it floats for awhile. It should float with the shell up and the soft part in contact with the water. When it sinks make sure the shell is facing down and the soft part up. If you have enough room you can add it in whole, sticking up like a surf board in the sand and the water will wear it away because it is so soft and it will create an interesting pattern over time.

Back
Top Bottom