Wanting to add ramshorns...how many is too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I really like the little red or pink ramshorns...does anyone purposely add them to their tank? I have a 6 gallon tank that I'd like to add a few ramshorns to.

Will my apple snail eat them?

Does anyone know how big they get?

Thanks in advance!

Ramshorns... Grr

I put 15 in my dwarf puffer tank so they could breed a little before my little guys get here.. Well something happened with my breeder and his last fry didn't make it.. So now what started out as 15... Last count I made was over 90 in a month! These things breed really fast and a lot. The side of the tank looks like its snowing, I'm starting to get most of the big ones in a breeding tank, but be careful one little over feeding and they'll over run ya

I have six of them on the way and one already in my tank. I do plan on giving them away/selling them if they get out of control. I figure with them being cool colors, I'll have a better shot at people wanting them. :)

These are the ones I'm getting:
ramshorn%2520copy.jpg

You could also take 3 or 4 and keep them in a 5 gallon with a heater, just feed the crap out if them and breed them, I like the blue ones myself but with them bring puffer bait(uhu haha, couldn't resist =p) I just have brown and white ones

I do have a spare tank in case they get out of control. :) I'm hoping that won't be the case though.

They make for great tank cleaners and if you get too many, you have an excuse to order some assassin snails and watch the slaughter.

I want some blue and pinks too now thanks to you posting that pic :p hehe I have some plain brown ones but I want the pretty ones

Update: I'm pulling all the snails. I went from five to over 100 in about two months. :nono:

Live and learn.

Wow and I was looking into getting some. Think I'll stick with my Malaysian trumpets.

I can now safely say getting these was a mistake. I've given away about 40ish and I've pitched about 30-40 and I probably have about 40 - 50 left in a spare jar and a handful in my 20G tank.

Would not recommend!!! They breed too fast and too much.

Back
Top Bottom