What are PFR Cherries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's pretty much what I'm looking for. Solid red.

Look at the pics in my sales thread here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/red-cherry-shrimp-188882.html

And yeah, I'm pretty low on stock right now. I might be able to put a small package together but I don't usually cherry pick (pun intended) them because I am trying to keep some nice ones in my group as well.

If you notice on the 2nd pic it's just a shot of one area of one of the tanks, it's not a special stock photo that has only the shrimp that I want people to see.

Those are really nice looking shrimp.

Super red cherry shrimp freshwater aquarium shrimp

Click above Link

That is the shrimp pic I am looking at, anyone see if that is what I should get?

Again I can go see these in person so how many for 6.6 Edge and can I put them in my other tanks or are they expensive fish food. Guppy tank with some dwarf Cories or some kind which I don't yet own. I listed my fish towards the beginning of the thread. Peaceful community fish but I just got four Pearl Gourami, too, for my new tank. So could any adults survive in there?

Those look great, plus the price is really good if its someone local to you. I wouldn't risk putting them with gouramis but they are ok with pygmy cories and guppies (usually). I'd get a dozen or so for an edge to start with.

Sunkist yes. I'm not sure about mandarin. Autumn, you'd be best off keeping just one shrimp species to start. Just go with the cherries and slowly research compatible dwarf shrimp from there, also monitoring your water quality at the same time, perhaps contemplating bee shrimp.

I think I will try the CL ones I saw posted, good value and looked pretty.

What do I do with the ones which aren't pretty enough (cull) after they have babies, just sell, use as bonus food for my Koi?

I hate the idea of doing that, really. Thin line between breeding food for my fish and breeding pretty shrimp for their beauty as I appreciate (almost) all life's potential. Feed the ugly ones to them seems unkind or cruel. A kind of moral dilemma. I am having same problem with one guppy fry I have, shaped like a chevron but holding his own. But I have already been scolded to stay on topic once today...

So I am hoping my orange shrimp pair are orange bee not cherry type as to not mess up breeding.

My water quality levels are still holding in the very good range.

is painted fire red cherry shrimp different from fire red cherry shrimps? or they just added the "painted" on there?

You have to read what we said... Lol. They are all just red cherry shrimp. They just have different subjective names for the different amounts of red on the body.

Yah I was being lazy haha. Sorry :p.
Just curious. If I had a fire red cherry shrimps and they breed will they all come out as fire reds or ill get certain ones that won't be as red?

Paulcm10 said:
Yah I was being lazy haha. Sorry :p.
Just curious. If I had a fire red cherry shrimps and they breed will they all come out as fire reds or ill get certain ones that won't be as red?

Good Fire Reds should breed true. But you should cull any less red adults and add in new blood on occasion.

jetajockey said:
There's always going to be some that don't color up as well as the rest. As mentioned, culling is the best method to keep the line color strong.

What is culling?

From Culling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Culling is the process of removing breeding animals from a group based on specific criteria. This is done either to reinforce certain desirable characteristics or to remove certain undesirable characteristics from the group. For livestock and wildlife alike, culling usually implies the killing of the removed animals .

You don't have to kill the shrimp, moving them out of the tank with the breeding group is the only important part, what you do with them after that is up to you.

painted fire reds vs regular cherry

here is a pic of a PFR, and a pic with many cherries

The main differences are,

1) you can see the intensity of the coloration you cannot even see inside the shrimp.

2) the legs are also completely RED, typical cherrys/sakuras and such have clear or blotchy red legs.

3) when the female carry eggs, due to the intense color you cannot see the eggs through the shell.

4) Painted reds are very vibrant bright red, sakura/fire reds have a very dull dark red almost brown-purple at times.

hope this helps:)

I have PFRs available if anyone is interested:)

Attachments

• IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 76
What is the going price for PFR? You are in Canada, but I am in the US so maybe difference in pricing and valuation of $

MABJ - What is the going rate as far as your research on PFR "Fire Trucks" in the USA? LOL

Anyone else chime in on pricing what you have been buying them for?

PFR vs CHerry coloration

I went and took some photos.

To show you the difference better.

Attachments

• IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 71
Aaahhhh, so there is one of each in each picture?

Dark one, not very see through PFR, and lighter one somewhat see through?. I like the darker ones best!

Back
Top Bottom