What are these????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henningc

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, I have a dedicated shrimp tank that has java moss and a lot of it. The shrimp are doing their thing, but I noted that there are these micro snails. They start as about 1/2 the size of a pencil point and have only grown to 1/4 a pin head. I have pond, bladder, ramshorn and mts in other tanks and all are reporducing. The snails in question are none of the above. Before you ask, yes they are snails and not some other animal. So, if anyone can throw me a bone about what the heck these are it will be much appreciated. I don't have experience with assassin snails and I know they can not be any type that breed in salt water. They had to have come in on the jave, so what are they????????:confused:

Are they limpets? The shell's look kinda see through.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any chance of pics ? I'd be interested, since snails of all kinds interest me, whether I want to keep them or not.

There is at least one species of really tiny snail I've seen in a number of tanks, I'd have to ask someone else, since I don't remember the species name. Full grown they are no more than a quarter inch wide and not much more than 1/32nd of inch thick, having a flat spiral shell, like a ramshorn, but carried horizontally, not vertically, where ramshorns always carry theirs vertically. I'd think as babies they might match what you're describing, but I have no idea how fast they grow.

Limpets are quite tiny too, having no door, like many snails. Conical shape but flatter than MTS, pale colour, full grown not much over 1/8" wide. Tend not to move much, certainly not like snails in the way they move.

Back
Top Bottom