What do mystery snails eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aetherbound

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two blue mystery snails and I was wondering what they eat? I have been dropping in half an algae wafer every other day as there is very little algae in my tank. I try and put it in at lights out less the goldfish pick at it (algae wafer).

I think I also read they will eat frozen brine shrimp that makes it to the bottom but my three goldfish seem to do a bang-up job of getting every morsel of food no matter where it seems to end up in the tank.

They will eat pretty much anything that hits the bottom of the tank: flakes, pellets, algae wafers. You can try blanching veggies for your fish and snails as well since thats good for everybody. Mystery snails are not an algae eating snail like nerites, so they would appreciate some variety. That said, I am guessing they are getting more scraps than you know. They are excellent at finding tiny bits. :)

My mystery snails will move my sand around to dig up every little bit. I try to make sure they get a little of everything I put in my tank for my other fish.

Thanks for the replies!

Couple more questions. Will they get bigger? Do the secret their shells when they grow? Or?

Also, sometimes I forget how small they are and how their stomachs or what-not must be very tiny, so I don't imagine they need much..

I don't know how big yours currently are, but they can get rather large, so yes, I am sure they will still grow.
Yes, they make their shell as they grow.
They eat more than you would think judging by their size. Lol.

I had one that was a little bit larger than a golf ball but I've seen pics online of them as big a cans of coke and baseballs.

Mystery snails get about 1 1/2' to 2". The really large ones you saw pictures of were probably Pomacea canaliculatas, another species of apple snail.

That makes me feel better. :) I was always afraid I'd wouldn't see my snails for a few days then have these monster snails in my tank one day lol.

Back
Top Bottom