What Grade CRS are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
My shrimp guy sent me this pic along with others. What grade are they. Any ideas? And usually such grade is how much per shrimp in dollars?

IMG-20180703-_WA0005.jpg

Depending on which ones he sends, I see
A grade with 3-4 bands to
S Tiger tooth
SS Hinomaru / Halfmoon /Circle on back
SSS No bands on back / crown at back of head / Mosura but few of these in there.

Seems mostly S bands some A
I think some sharp 3 bands can be SS and Hinomaru SS are around there too.

The shells need to be white and not have the clear look to them. Then the pattern will help determine where they fall into the grading.

There are stringent grading charts and regular charts. One would use the stringent grading chart if wanting to breed for show. That would mean, recognized patterns and perfect shaping, distinctive sharp lines between the pattern with high definition of white and red (or black if so colored).

Since I don't breed my shrimp for showing I am first concerned in quality by body shape looking full and healthy and color of shell. Often there are distinct differences in a mature shrimp and what you see in that pic you showed like a breeders tank of young but maturing shrimp.

The biggest factors to me are whether the color of the shell is there. Sharp and distinctive. As a pet shrimp the color pattern can be a personal preference and you should enjoy the pattern/color you like most without someone telling you what to like most.

That said I always appreciate a fine quality specimen for what it is, a high quality creature. And the time to raise, and rarity of a certain level of creation through breeding work can be admired of course through a prize winning appearance. Further detail in quality can be found in the shrimps ability to breed excellent babies.

But the pattern and appearance can be subjective to ones personal preference.

More recently, people started really liking the red ones with hardly any white and so then the opposite direction was taken to breed for a new high standard, in what would have been something called a low quality shrimp previously.

Not sure if you ever read the Sneeches by Dr. Suess but basically the high society of "sneeches"/creatures had stars on their bellies and then a guy came with a machine to put stars on the others and then they thought they shouldn't have stars and the process was reversed. And back and forth it went as to who and what was popular, or best.

Someone is making money. Important for you to enjoy what you buy because you like them, and not over pay for something that isn't worth it.

You can guess that an importer/breeder/seller would take out the highest quality / biggest money makers and sell them with a higher price tag. And call the rest of the lot a mixed or random selection.

Those shrimp in the pic are a very wide variety and look lovely. But as far as high grade, someone made up the grading charts and the standards for the winner of awards type shrimps.

The shrimp in the pic look good for pets but few have excellent, highly defined specific patterns noted in commonly seen charts for prize winning shrimps.

You can do a search online for grading charts and they are widely varied in standard, though similar.

Clear legs or partially colored and partially clear, are a less quality than all red, or all white legs. Some people say a shrimp is a grade based on the body shell but don't note the legs.

There are differing body shapes from different breeding groups as well - areas like Germany, Japan or Taiwan will have a shape their countries judges seem to prefer.

Like an Arabian horse with a short body build or long body. Each could be ideal specimens but not win a prize based upon what the judges preferences are.

Sorry about the too long post.

Depending on which ones he sends, I see
A grade with 3-4 bands to
S Tiger tooth
SS Hinomaru / Halfmoon /Circle on back
SSS No bands on back / crown at back of head / Mosura but few of these in there.

Seems mostly S bands some A
I think some sharp 3 bands can be SS and Hinomaru SS are around there too.

The shells need to be white and not have the clear look to them. Then the pattern will help determine where they fall into the grading.

There are stringent grading charts and regular charts. One would use the stringent grading chart if wanting to breed for show. That would mean, recognized patterns and perfect shaping, distinctive sharp lines between the pattern with high definition of white and red (or black if so colored).

Since I don't breed my shrimp for showing I am first concerned in quality by body shape looking full and healthy and color of shell. Often there are distinct differences in a mature shrimp and what you see in that pic you showed like a breeders tank of young but maturing shrimp.

The biggest factors to me are whether the color of the shell is there. Sharp and distinctive. As a pet shrimp the color pattern can be a personal preference and you should enjoy the pattern/color you like most without someone telling you what to like most.

That said I always appreciate a fine quality specimen for what it is, a high quality creature. And the time to raise, and rarity of a certain level of creation through breeding work can be admired of course through a prize winning appearance. Further detail in quality can be found in the shrimps ability to breed excellent babies.

But the pattern and appearance can be subjective to ones personal preference.

More recently, people started really liking the red ones with hardly any white and so then the opposite direction was taken to breed for a new high standard, in what would have been something called a low quality shrimp previously.

Not sure if you ever read the Sneeches by Dr. Suess but basically the high society of "sneeches"/creatures had stars on their bellies and then a guy came with a machine to put stars on the others and then they thought they shouldn't have stars and the process was reversed. And back and forth it went as to who and what was popular, or best.

Someone is making money. Important for you to enjoy what you buy because you like them, and not over pay for something that isn't worth it.

You can guess that an importer/breeder/seller would take out the highest quality / biggest money makers and sell them with a higher price tag. And call the rest of the lot a mixed or random selection.

Those shrimp in the pic are a very wide variety and look lovely. But as far as high grade, someone made up the grading charts and the standards for the winner of awards type shrimps.

The shrimp in the pic look good for pets but few have excellent, highly defined specific patterns noted in commonly seen charts for prize winning shrimps.

You can do a search online for grading charts and they are widely varied in standard, though similar.

Clear legs or partially colored and partially clear, are a less quality than all red, or all white legs. Some people say a shrimp is a grade based on the body shell but don't note the legs.

There are differing body shapes from different breeding groups as well - areas like Germany, Japan or Taiwan will have a shape their countries judges seem to prefer.

Like an Arabian horse with a short body build or long body. Each could be ideal specimens but not win a prize based upon what the judges preferences are.

Sorry about the too long post.
No sorry please. I love detailed replies and you mentioned all great points. I can't thank you enough for the detailed explanation. So this guy has always high quality stock. Whenever i bought something its always high quality. I am sure the shells are strong like any shrimps i bought from him. Last time i bought come chocolate shrimps and i never seen such gorgeous dark chocolate shrimps not even on internet.

I also don't buy shrimps just to showcase I am rich lol. In fact i don't have anyone near me who even likes my hobby not to mention the dear wife who always say i burn money on insects lol. But i asked for grades because if he has all available and all are of same price than why don't i go for the best grade as future proofing. I mean i like every one of them equally in the picture and so no matter what i get i ll love them but as I said if the opportunity is there then i should go for the high grades.

I have one request please can you please mark on picture which ones are most high grades like sss or ss etc?

Day after tomorrow he will deliver so if you can mark on the above picture it will be so easy for me to tell him what I want.

Thanks Maam.

Thanks a lot for the messages. Very very helpful. Can't thank you enough. Will keep you posted. Shrimps are coming tonight. I ordered 20 crs from pic i showed and 15 bloody marys. Hope all look good in person too.

Congratulations and enjoy 4th July fireworks.

I got shrimps. They look nice. Below are some pictures

Bloody Mary. First time have them they are dark red like caridinas.

20180706_040247.jpg

20180706_040328.jpg

CRS

20180706_040140.jpg

20180706_035910.jpg

20180706_035727.jpg

20180706_035918.jpg

And two little videos just when they were added. Went to hiding as usual.

https://youtu.be/cc8izVTXCe0

https://youtu.be/GU3FtoEuYwY

Something went wrong though. TDS of bloody mary bag water was only 45. I complained to the guy. He will check his tank. Looks like he put them accidentally in RO water tank. I hope they don't get tds shock. I drip acclimated them for three hours from 45 to 150.

If they are overall healthy they can take more than if they aren't. Hoping it continues that they are alright.

All the shrimp are nice looking. The one is a bit pale. I had a really splotchy grade PRL shrimp but all of her babies looked great so I never got rid of her.

All the genetics beyond the basics are something I would need to study up on a few times to get it to soak in. I will stay pretty darn happy to just watch the pretty shrimp which don't have to be champions for me to adore them. They are nice to be sure and I would also adore champion line shrimp, of course. Beautiful shrimp are wonderful to watch.

Plain wild/ clear/ tan, are also fun to watch albeit if not QUITE as attractive. Shrimp in general are interesting to watch.

It seems you have a good shipment. Again hopes for all to stay well. Thanks for posting pics so fast.

If they are overall healthy they can take more than if they aren't. Hoping it continues that they are alright.

All the shrimp are nice looking. The one is a bit pale. I had a really splotchy grade PRL shrimp but all of her babies looked great so I never got rid of her.

All the genetics beyond the basics are something I would need to study up on a few times to get it to soak in. I will stay pretty darn happy to just watch the pretty shrimp which don't have to be champions for me to adore them. They are nice to be sure and I would also adore champion line shrimp, of course. Beautiful shrimp are wonderful to watch.

Plain wild/ clear/ tan, are also fun to watch albeit if not QUITE as attractive. Shrimp in general are interesting to watch.

It seems you have a good shipment. Again hopes for all to stay well. Thanks for posting pics so fast.
Thanks a lot. You have very nice and thorough knowledge of shrimps. Learning a lot from you. All shrimps are looking great. My previous crystal reds were low grade and were dull. Not bright white. So that raise the question that if a low grade shrimp breed with high grade then what offsprings i can expect? By low grade i mean this one. It is not only dull white but the red is covering more. I do love this too. Just want to know what to expect.

Video_Capture_20180707-023621.jpg

Also another question is whats difference between a high grade crystal and prl. Thanks.

Yes. More likely to get the dilution of better traits when there is a less quality shrimp.

PRL - Pure Red Line is the shrimp which (*usually) have never been crossed with other shrimp lines to enforce certain breeding / physical traits. Only by selecting the best specimen and keeping breeding the best ones the breeder is working to produce. Line breeding within a group of shrimp.

PRL can have all quality/grade, just as CRS.

This is a poor pics but you can get the idea of how there can be a nice shrimp and a low quality PRL shrimp
60074-albums14700-picture71443.jpg

this pic shrimp of B grade in center
60074-albums14700-picture71446.jpg

This one looks pretty good
60074-albums14700-picture71556.jpg

This one is very nice white shell but even though she has fair Hinomaru pattern on back, the other pattern in tail is off, not even, and the legs aren't white, they are clear. So not a "good" specimen for actual breeding tank for bettering the species as it is with contests for champions.

If I took this shrimp to the local Aquarium club, I could win a 1st place if mine was better than someone elses though :) because it is an attractive shrimp, but not in the view of the grading / showing standard.

I did have a few excellent shrimp though. I will update my PRL thread and discuss what happened a few weeks ago, this weekend.
60074-albums14700-picture71825.jpg

*Side Note: There have been some reports that they have been crossed but then monitored and after never having any off colored babies, like a Golden Bee looking, which is what they are most often crossed with or white color, fore a number of generations, they are considered to be PRL as they only produce offspring like the parents.

Yes. More likely to get the dilution of better traits when there is a less quality shrimp.

PRL - Pure Red Line is the shrimp which (*usually) have never been crossed with other shrimp lines to enforce certain breeding / physical traits. Only by selecting the best specimen and keeping breeding the best ones the breeder is working to produce. Line breeding within a group of shrimp.

PRL can have all quality/grade, just as CRS.

This is a poor pics but you can get the idea of how there can be a nice shrimp and a low quality PRL shrimp
60074-albums14700-picture71443.jpg

this pic shrimp of B grade in center
60074-albums14700-picture71446.jpg

This one looks pretty good
60074-albums14700-picture71556.jpg

This one is very nice white shell but even though she has fair Hinomaru pattern on back, the other pattern in tail is off, not even, and the legs aren't white, they are clear. So not a "good" specimen for actual breeding tank for bettering the species as it is with contests for champions.

If I took this shrimp to the local Aquarium club, I could win a 1st place if mine was better than someone elses though :) because it is an attractive shrimp, but not in the view of the grading / showing standard.

I did have a few excellent shrimp though. I will update my PRL thread and discuss what happened a few weeks ago, this weekend.
60074-albums14700-picture71825.jpg

*Side Note: There have been some reports that they have been crossed but then monitored and after never having any off colored babies, like a Golden Bee looking, which is what they are most often crossed with or white color, fore a number of generations, they are considered to be PRL as they only produce offspring like the parents.
Thanks a lot again for detailed explanation. I am still confused though. So a prl is actually a super high grade crystal shrimp right? I mean some i have which i call crystals are listed as prl on some web sites for sale. Also I found this pic showcasing why prl are different but really i think in a tank no one can tell unless observe very closely if its a prl or crystal. This pic i could literally said i have this shrimp but they even see at the lip color. Maybe its just the elites showcase they are proud owners of them.

mk_prl_large_01.png

Also according to my understanding its just a trust on breeder thing? What if its a high grade crystal and not prl but looks very beautiful and may produce golden bee in future but breeder may sell it as prl?

Also are all your shrimps are prl or some of them high grade crystals?

This guy i have very little red and i have some more who look fantastic with no red on back but they are sold as red crystals and not prl. Prls the guy have and expensive but to me they look same really.

20180706_080418.jpg

Haha, yes it is a trust thing. Also why you should be reasonably happy with previous services and supplies of your shrimp seller.

PRL would be a highly/specifically line bred shrimp but not have to have high grade.

Often the better ones are really great as the shells have very sharp white. And yes they can completely look the same as CRS.

That last shrimp is a beauty and great markings.

All mine were said to be PRL. The person I got them from told me the importer/seller he got them from I had watched the PRL build from the beginning when he got them, I know him through the local hobby.

He and I had discussed these shrimp after he got them, He was going to sell me a breeding group but he was pretty long way from me not in a direction I go to almost ever. Then months later, he PM'd me when he found out he was moving out of state then I believe overseas, and wouldn't be around to keep care of the shrimp.

As mentioned they are very pretty shrimp but not mostly the show winning ones, would be the culls for a high grade breeder, they just won MY heart and make me happy to see them happy in the tank!

Haha, yes it is a trust thing. Also why you should be reasonably happy with previous services and supplies of your shrimp seller.

PRL would be a highly/specifically line bred shrimp but not have to have high grade.

Often the better ones are really great as the shells have very sharp white. And yes they can completely look the same as CRS.

That last shrimp is a beauty and great markings.

All mine were said to be PRL. The person I got them from told me the importer/seller he got them from I had watched the PRL build from the beginning when he got them, I know him through the local hobby.

He and I had discussed these shrimp after he got them, He was going to sell me a breeding group but he was pretty long way from me not in a direction I go to almost ever. Then months later, he PM'd me when he found out he was moving out of state then I believe overseas, and wouldn't be around to keep care of the shrimp.

As mentioned they are very pretty shrimp but not mostly the show winning ones, would be the culls for a high grade breeder, they just won MY heart and make me happy to see them happy in the tank!
Thanks a lot Autumn

Got my shipment. 35 I ordered and got two free shrimps. 37 now. Not all very bright white. Kind of mix and some good grades and some high grades. But overall looking good.

However again same problem. Water in there bag has 45 tds only. I think this guy didn't check that tank water has low tds. I am now slowly drip acclimating them. I am worried. He called and said they ll be fine. But i am still concerned.

Did a 6 and half hour drip acclimation just to be safe. Tank has 135 TDS and when the container TDS reached to 117 i put them to main tank because i got tired from waiting. I hope they stay good. My tank has dense plants so even when i have over 65 shrimps in this 6 gallon i can only ser like 10 maximum. Wife advised me remove plants but i love the look of tank. Now hope they breed soon.

https://youtu.be/4h8fWvhB_1U

Back
Top Bottom