What is this guy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome and thanks! I did not even buy him...he must of been on a plant I purchased. Thanks for the info. I will continue to attempt to get a better photo to share.

Malaysian trumpet snail. They give birth to tiny little replicas of themselves and do not lay eggs. They are great for keeping the substrate clean and keeping it loose by digging into it.

If you watch this 'guy', you will see him climb the tank wall one night to the surface. Once there, at some point in the night the snail releases a number of new snails. They are very tiny, but have fully formed shells. They float on the water tension 'til they find a surface to cling to. Often end up in filters. The eggs are laid and incubated in a brood pouch inside the adult shell.

You can end up with hundreds of them but they are very useful. Very good algae eaters, keep the substrate somewhat turned over as they burrow into it, and generally do clean up crew duty. They're often wanted by other hobbyists, so if you get too many, you can often sell them for a bit, or give them away.

It's very common for the tips of the shell to be a bit corroded, but it does no harm to the snail at all. They max out, depending exactly which species it is, not much over an inch long.

Back
Top Bottom