What is this?! (plus one other question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my, I wish mine looked like that!

I looked up snail eggs... kinda scary really. I have 2 other snails in my main tank, no where near as nice as yours, and i'm hoping they also don't breed

I dont feed mine either. They just get what the fish dont, and any algae they can find. A general rule with snails is the more food available, the more babies they make!!!

Wll since everyone else has showed their snails off ill show my favorite one.. lol

I dont feed the ones i have fish with but my 55g is kinda empty now so i feed them since my otos keep the algae gone

I have a mystery snail it is pretty good sized almost golf ball sized
The shell is a pretty green and the body is a dark blue

ForumRunner_20130828_154522.jpg

ForumRunner_20130828_154656.jpg

Omg!!! I want one!!! I got shipped 2 blues, but the p.o. had messed up and damaged my package they both died.

I got 6 snails from that order, only the golden lived but ive seen it mate with both of my bigger snails so the other 2 are same sex, female i think...

That thing Albert does, with his foot half up ? that's normal. My snails do that too. And when he's gliding over the plants, he is actually eating biofilm and any small algaes or other things that may be growing on the leaves.

Clean eggshells should be fine. Just get all that membrane off them, it's protein and if they can't eat it, may rot. If you put shells where they can eat them, I think they probably will eat them. Cuttlebone will sink fairly soon once waterlogged. Takes a bit of time, but it will sink and stay down, and probably break into pieces. They sell them for turtles as well as birds.

If you watch the snail on glass you will see the mouth moving almost incessantly. If the snail is large enough you can even sort of see the 'teeth'. Not actual teeth, they are more like grinding surfaces that let them scrape edibles from surfaces. So long as it is not too hard, they can scrape almost anything. Green spot algae often tends to be too hard for them to scrape off, but they can eat a lot of other things.

I quite enjoy watching mine, along with the giant ramshorns, that are closely related to them. Imagine a ramshorn, only enormous. The opening in the shell is a half inch or more in diameter, and the body of most of mine is close to 1.5" diameter. Not as nice colours.. mainly brownish striping on brown, to near black, or dull gold. Black or light brown body colours.

I wish I could find another purple snail. I had some, but I was away for a long time due to illness in the family and lost a lot of livestock as a result. Had blues, a couple that were marbled blue/grey,ivory, gold, and currently two that are as close to black as I have ever seen. Not blue, really black looking. Shells are ivory, which the body colour shows through.

img_2630823_0_c7f156f7cc927866490a1f3e326280db.jpg

img_2630823_1_e6954ef0aa8c451bc30fcdf387d6a335.jpg

img_2630823_2_c1530c9e3149548f56bacf0d41be76e3.jpg

That's just to give an idea of his size. This snail totally rules! And I've seen on my other two snails, the mouth as they eat the sides of the goldfish tank. Kinda funny to watch
1009845_10151784400771544_107609511_n_zpsb4713616.jpg.html

He's a pretty decent size.. I haven't had too many get much larger than that. The stripes are from the wild colour form, they can show up on any snail, regardless of body colour.

I wish he was a brighter color but, i think he's funny all the same. It seems he likes to torture Samurai my betta. He somehow made it into the floating log and all Samurai could do was look at me with a confuse helpless look.

I love these little snails, they are just such a comical addition to my already comical aquariums

I would have a hard time imagining a tank without some snails.. even Nerites are nice, though perhaps not as personable as mystery snails can be. My Otos also feed off the snail shells, as do my Ghost and Cherry shrimp.

I guess there are good pickings there, I see this behaviour often enough, but the snail does not even pull in its antennae, so it obviously does not find this kind of attention threatening in any way.

My gold mystery snail i have with my p. Alleni crayfish is their pet.. (had it since the day my crays came in so early feb this year) its the only snail they wont eat and they literally sleep in the same cave all 3 snail m and f cray.. i have even saw my snail cleaning the crays shell im guessing as it glides across their shells often enough .. brave lil snail bc it literally crawls up the open claws without a care... wish i could catch it on video

Never before has my snail did this well atleast when i was around so i thought it was neat since you posted this thread .. :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130830_210033.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130830_210033.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 43
Lol dont worry i named every single one of my fish so far and plan to name the next 20 fish im getting in a new tank lol

[QUOTELol dont worry i named every single one of my fish so far and plan to name the next 20 fish im getting in a new tank lol ][/QUOTE]

I have 8 goldfish so, because they all look different, except for little fish and Stealth (only different in size) they all got name. Aside from the Oto's cause i can't tell them apart.

So i broke down while at the pet store and bought another Mystery Snail. The second this little guy/girl was plopped into the tank, it took off exploring! This one is going o be quite the character like Albert I expect.

Also figured out a solution to Sticky's little escaping problem. I plopped him into our Betta, D.W.'s tank and he hasn't tried to leave once. He even stays underwater. There's a golden apple snail with him so, he should be good. Also found 3 weensy babies in there courtesy of a plant I had gotten.

I don't plan on naming all my snails. Just Albert, Sticky and for sure this new mystery snail.

Where do u get snail food with calcium my water is soft like 6.8 more or less I put a piece if cuttle bone in tank just small chip how much should I add of it to the 2.5 I don't wana overdo it or hurt my Betta

I came across an interesting thing called "Snail Jello". It seems like a good idea. Can anybody tell me if anything in it will hurt my Betta, Cory Cat, Oto Cat, or Clown Pleco? (they are all in the same tank)
Some of the bigger snail species cannot simply survive off of algae, or live plants. They need extra nutrition to stay happy and health. A popular, homemade recipe for snail food, that uses gelatin, is called snail jello. This recipe basically consists of a bunch of fresh vegetables, baby food, and calcium additives blended together, heated, and then solidified.
Basically, you want to find vegetables that are high in calcium, but low in phosphate. The calcium will help form a healthy snail shell. Phosphate encourages algae growth, so it needs to be limited. You can find lists comparing the calcium to phosphate online, at other sources. Some good ones are: collard greens, spinach, and zucchini. The baby food should just be a small jar. Look for 4% or higher calcium and low sodium/sugar. You can also add any fish food. I like to add some flakes and a bunch of veggie and catfish sinking wafers. I just scrape some calcium out of cuttlebone and add it to the mixture. Some people have had success with Jurassi- reptical powder without phosphorous. You also need a packet of gelatin, with no sugar and no coloring.
So, the process of making the snail jello: open the baby food, and pour it into a blender. Clean all your vegetables, and chop them up. Toss them into the blender as well. Use a meat cleaver or similar device and to break up the sinking wafers and then put them into the blender as well. Add one teaspoon of Jurassi-repitcal powder or some powder scraped from a cuttlebone. Turn the blender on high. Add a little bit of hot water to mixture so that the mixture gets a consistent texture. Pour the mixture into a microwavable bowl and microwave the mixture for 1-2 minutes, or until warm. Then GENTLY, SLOWLY add a little bit of gelatin and stir slowly and evenly. Repeat until all the gelatin has been used. Do this carefully and slowly to avoid forming clumps, or airbubbles. Airbubble will make the jello float, and make it inaccessible to the snails. Once the gelatin has been added, put the mixture into a Tupperware container and put it in a fridge for 2-3 hours. After 2-3 hours, take the jello out and cut it into small blocks. Now you can keep in the freeze almost indefinitely, or for up to one month in fridge. Once you are ready to fed your snails, take the jello out and let a piece thaw out before adding it to the tank. After a few hours in the tank, anything left should be removed. Keep in mind that snails are somewhat nocturnal and feed during the night.

Maybe now you get baby snails.. well, egg cases anyway. They lay eggs above water.

Snail jello sounds interesting.

So far I just toss a half cuttlebone into the tank, and/or a vacation fish feeder block, and they seem to do ok. The cuttlebone sinks after a bit of time, and breaks into smaller pieces, which slowly disappear. Whether eaten or just dissolved into water, I can't really tell.

Back
Top Bottom