What kind of snail is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The guy at the petshop told me these are apple snails. Can that be? I've had a google, and I can't find any pictures that look like these.
snail.jpg

snail2.jpg

Sorry - in case the size is not obvious from the pictures, they are fairly small, about 3cm ( more or less an inch) long.

They are pretty cool looking.. I'm sorry I don't know what they are. :-/

Sent from my iPhone

They do look nice!
I've been searching all over and can't find anything that looks like them. As far as I can tell, they have no orpeculum, (but I might be wrong about that) and they don't really seem to have long antennae either.

I got three of them and am now wondering what on earth they are.

MTS as in Malaysian Trumpet Snail?

I thought they were smaller? Also these show no sign of burrowing in the gravel.

Also, I was wrong, they DO have operculum and antennae :) Just quite small ones.

No problem! From what I read on them you need to be careful if you have them in a planted tank as they will eat your plants.

That's a nice looking snail btw!

Goodluck!

I've just been reading up on them, and found out about the plant eating. That's not good!

They say feeding them daily, lettuce, and maybe pellets, will slow them down? ****. I'll have to keep an eye on them. So far they've not shown any tendency to eat plants, just cleaning stone and driftwood.

I was talking to a lfs people about random stuff with plants. I was looking for a carpet other than moss because our pleco mows the moss faster than it grows. He even prefers it over his algae chips and real food. The girl there said she had a similar issue and added a piece of drift wood and that the pleco now eats that before the plants/mosses.

Kind of a long shot but maybe something similar would happen with the snails? Worth a try maybe if you don't have wood to add some. It can't hurt!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've kept these snail's and they were called brotia pagoda snail's, they love fast moving water and mine ate spirulina powder which I covered on stones they also ate cucumber and shrimp pellets. Mine never ate plant's. If they get stuck on their back's you'll need to turn them over as they can't up right themselves and can die. Good luck with them i really enjoyed keeping mine. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've kept these snail's and they were called brotia pagoda snail's, they love fast moving water and mine ate spirulina powder which I covered on stones they also ate cucumber and shrimp pellets. Mine never ate plant's. If they get stuck on their back's you'll need to turn them over as they can't up right themselves and can die. Good luck with them i really enjoyed keeping mine. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I saw that already, that they can't turn over! They sort of reach, poor things, but only succeed in picking up bits of gravel, can't seem to flip themselves. Had to help.

I wonder if algae pellets would work. I feed my apple snails slices of baby marrow and apple, but so far the pagodas have only been interested in the driftwood and stones... Maybe I'll be lucky and they'll clean up all the BBA :)

My nerites LOVE real drift wood. Not sure if they're eating it but they always lay eggs there. Keeps them off my glass so it's okay with me

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom