What Kind of Snails are These?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha i know what you mean! Cause i have 3 tanks plus a kind of pond all runing. And i have a 36gal tank rimless ocupaying space at our outdoor bathroom and an 8 gal acrylic box that i was using for my wet/dry filter so i guess it works as a tank too! But if you ask me, i'd love to make the two tanks for FW the bigger one for some cichlids and the small one for some shrimps!! Neither project i have done it before!! :) I want more and more tanks!!

angelvelez87 said:
Hahaha i know what you mean! Cause i have 3 tanks plus a kind of pond all runing. And i have a 36gal tank rimless ocupaying space at our outdoor bathroom and an 8 gal acrylic box that i was using for my wet/dry filter so i guess it works as a tank too! But if you ask me, i'd love to make the two tanks for FW the bigger one for some cichlids and the small one for some shrimps!! Neither project i have done it before!! :) I want more and more tanks!!

I want so many more more tanks haha I was thinking about having a snail only tank with nerites, colored ramshorn, and some Poso snails. But then thought that it would be kinda boring lol how are the nerites doing? I'm trying to get 2 more shrimp tanks, but my dad dosent like the idea LOL plus, he has no intrest in shrimp what so ever, so that dosent really help hahaha did you end up putting the nerites in the tank?

Yes they are in my two tanks! I splitted them cause they were too many!! And they are doing great!! Just one casualty cause i found one on the floor practically dried! And some of them have put some white dots through the glass and wood and i dont know if those are baby snails!!

angelvelez87 said:
Yes they are in my two tanks! I splitted them cause they were too many!! And they are doing great!! Just one casualty cause i found one on the floor practically dried! And some of them have put some white dots through the glass and wood and i dont know if those are baby snails!!

Woot! That is definitely a nerite snail if it is doing that. It will lay freshwater eggs, but they will only hatch in salt water.

If they come out, just put them back in. They usually don't leave unless they're out of food. The snail is a tidal snail and can be out of water for a long time before perishing.

Austin.b said:
I want so many more more tanks haha I was thinking about having a snail only tank with nerites, colored ramshorn, and some Poso snails. But then thought that it would be kinda boring lol how are the nerites doing? I'm trying to get 2 more shrimp tanks, but my dad dosent like the idea LOL plus, he has no intrest in shrimp what so ever, so that dosent really help hahaha did you end up putting the nerites in the tank?

I don't think a snail tank would be boring at all. A cute little 1g cube Walstad style? It'd be so cool.

I know right!! It Wouldnt be boring!!! Cause if you aquascape its gonna be interesting beign searching for them and see them!! And it would be cool to see different snails and colors!!

And what if i take the eggs and put them in salt water?? Would they hatch??

angelvelez87 said:
And what if i take the eggs and put them in salt water?? Would they hatch??

Well,you'd need 3 total tanks. A complete marine, a brackish and your freshwater.

Or you could do it like this. Two tanks, a FW and total marine. When most the snails hatch, keep them well fed. As they grow, decrease marine to brackish. As they mature, brackish to FW. You'd have to do it slow, but it'd work.

But yes, they're most likely fertile eggs.

Ooh thank you!! It is really a good explaination!! But i think they have like 5 days already!! Would
It still work?

angelvelez87 said:
Ooh thank you!! It is really a good explaination!! But i think they have like 5 days already!! Would
It still work?

I'm sure it is worth a shot :) the eggs will not hatch at all in the FW aquarium. You'll need insta ocean and a refractometer to pull it off :)

What are those things?? I know the insta ocean is the salt mix but specially that one ? But the reflectometer i dont know what it is!!

angelvelez87 said:
What are those things?? I know the insta ocean is the salt mix but specially that one ? But the reflectometer i dont know what it is!!

Sorry it was refractometer!

You don't really need any special tools to measure salinity for this purpose. I've found nerites in a huge range from slightly brackish to nearly full seawater. Its not a bad idea to get a cheap hydrometer but for this particular purpose its not mandatory.

Oooh okok thanks!! I already have a hydrometer!!! So i might be doing it to at least test how it goes!!

Jeta could be right!

I was just saying for the most accurate and guaranteed way, you could do it like that. But there is a teaspoon per gallon rule, not that I know it.

When hatching, I've read, the higher the salinity, the higher the success rate. Then drop as they mature. I've never done it, but I tried learning just in case I ever wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom