What on Earth? - RCS Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cherry shrimp dying

......Ive never heard anything like that..... Either way I am 0 on ammonia, trites, and trates. My ph is like 6.8 and hardness about 75ppm. I was told alkalinity was low but that whole thing confused me lol

It is just chemistry, search it online. Ammonia converts to Ammonium, when the ph is alkaline.

But besides from pH being 6.8, and your gH of 75ppm is ok, but what about your TDS? And also the method you used to introduce the shrimp into your tank?

Cherry shrimp are very tolerable of ranges, from 6-8 not a problem, but takes time to get use too. And also, when your cherry shrimp die, can you explain the body? is it soft or still hard with a shell ? do you notice a death following finding shells in your tank?

Ammonia (nh3) turns into Ammonium (nh4) as the water becomes acidic, not the other way around. Ammonium is far less toxic than Ammonia. And it doesn't instantly become Ammonium once the tank falls below 7 ph, it is on a sliding scale, there is a chart around here somewhere. Just wanted to give some clarification.

Ammonia (nh3) turns into Ammonium (nh4) as the water becomes acidic, not the other way around. Ammonium is far less toxic than Ammonia. And it doesn't instantly become Ammonium once the tank falls below 7 ph, it is on a sliding scale, there is a chart around here somewhere. Just wanted to give some clarification.

thank you for correcting me:)
that is what i meant.

The shrimp were established already. I think they had shells still but Im not positive. I didnt feel the bodies or anything.

Back
Top Bottom