What should i feed my ghost shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lupejkis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon tank. They do a great job cleaning up after my guppys, but I wanted to look into a proper diet for them. I have had them for a week and one has molted already.

Repast makes a good souffle for shrimp, plus I believe hikari and omega one have started making invert foods, and then there is always liquid based calcium fortified plankton, frozen or refrigerated...

Ghost shrimp are easy to feed. Repashy is amazing stuff but it is expensive ! I feed mine shrimp pellets, algae pellets, [sinking kinds] and they will also take fish flakes and anything else they find. A special diet is not needed, they are scavengers and do very well as scavengers. Unless a tank is practically sterile, they will have plenty to eat.

Mine particularly seem to enjoy shrimp pellets, squicky as that seems.. they will eat each other if one dies, so I guess it makes sense.

So long as you have reasonably hard water they don't need special calcium, they eat their moulted shells, as do most shrimps. But you cann put a bit of a calcium pill in if you feel the need, or a piece of one of those vacation fish feeding blocks, which are mostly calcium,and if they need it they'll pick at it.

Back
Top Bottom