What shrimp should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone! Recently, I made the decision that I need some shrimp to keep my plants clean. My Panda Garra are not big algae eaters. Nonetheless, I think shrimp would look pretty cool in a planted aquarium. My current fish stock includes the following:

5 Cory Cats (I won't add any shrimp until these fish die, so I don't know how long it will be. They are rather old though)
2 Panda Garra
5 Bentos Tetras
1 Ram
2 Assassin Snails
8 Threadfin Rainbowfish (one of the females looks like she is about to die ?, but I plan on adding 1-3 more of these)

That being said, what shrimp do you recommend? My tank is a 30 gallon. Thanks!

Here is a picture of my tank as wellImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401415839.981080.jpg

I dont believe corys eat shrimp at least not adult ones ive got 7 amano in with mine and theyre fine

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dont believe corys eat shrimp at least not adult ones ive got 7 amano in with mine and theyre fine

I was just saying that because I didn't want the bottom of my tank to look crowded, but it might not actually.

Nah shrimp will be crawling everywhere even on top of plants and etc

Nah shrimp will be crawling everywhere even on top of plants and etc

Okay. I think I'm leaning towards Amano Shrimp. I know that they are good algae eaters.

They are the best algae eating shrimp I have ever owned. They love eating little particulates from my sponge filter and at night I find them on my plants. Rarely do I ever see the on the ground. Red Cherri's are great for bottom eating algae but you need to provide them with cover like java moss or a lava rock structure/cave otherwise some fish will make a quick snack of them

They are the best algae eating shrimp I have ever owned. They love eating little particulates from my sponge filter and at night I find them on my plants. Rarely do I ever see the on the ground. Red Cherri's are great for bottom eating algae but you need to provide them with cover like java moss or a lava rock structure/cave otherwise some fish will make a quick snack of them

Do you know if they like black algae too? I think I'm going to get 5 of these for my tank.

I'm no expert but I believe so. I'd wait to see if anyone else responds that knows more.

My amanos cleaned my plants when I had black algae, so I would definitely say yes as well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My amanos cleaned my plants when I had black algae, so I would definitely say yes as well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is fantastic! These shrimp will be very beneficial to my tank.

Highly recommend the Amano. I have 5 in my tank and they're a blast to watch. They're hardy and low maintenance, too.

Back
Top Bottom