Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What's going on with my shrimp?!

Last night I noticed one of my whisker shrimp shoved under a plant upside down. It's stiff looking and waving the fins under its tail wildly and clawing at everything ( not itself just thing around it) when I nudged it out from underneath the plant it snapped around for a minute and then just barrel rolled around the tank. This morning it has wedged itself between the glass and a plant. When I fed everyone this morning I dropped a pellet in front of it and it grabbed it and ate it. It's color is a little off compared to the other two shrimp. I have had this shrimp for at least 2 1/2- 3 years, maybe longer. (I can't remember when I got them but they are original members of the tank)
We have a 55 gal dirted planted tank with a homemade sump filtration system powered by a fluval pump with peat moss and matrix in it. We have a Co2 infusion system my husband made for the plants and a UV sterilizer. My husband tests the water twice weekly and said everything is in normal ranges.
We have snails, 3 whisker shrimp, 2 weather loaches, 2 long bodied catfish, 2 otos, about 13 platys, 3 neons, 5 mollies, 2 Cory cats and 2 butterfly hill stream loaches.
Half of the platies are new as of 3weeks ago and all the mollies were added at that time as well. The tank itself has been up and running for over 3 years.
I recently added the plants out of my goldfish tank when I broke it down. The goldfish died of a nasty fungus looking disease. I let the tank run uninhabited for 6 months before moving the plants.

How long do shrimp live? Is it sick or just dying?

Old 03-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, welcome - how did your shrimp turn out?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Hi, welcome - how did your shrimp turn out?
*sigh* I found it dead this morning after not being able to locate it at all yesterday
Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sad news

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com