What's going on with my shrimp?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brighte

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last night I noticed one of my whisker shrimp shoved under a plant upside down. It's stiff looking and waving the fins under its tail wildly and clawing at everything ( not itself just thing around it) when I nudged it out from underneath the plant it snapped around for a minute and then just barrel rolled around the tank. This morning it has wedged itself between the glass and a plant. When I fed everyone this morning I dropped a pellet in front of it and it grabbed it and ate it. It's color is a little off compared to the other two shrimp. I have had this shrimp for at least 2 1/2- 3 years, maybe longer. (I can't remember when I got them but they are original members of the tank)
We have a 55 gal dirted planted tank with a homemade sump filtration system powered by a fluval pump with peat moss and matrix in it. We have a Co2 infusion system my husband made for the plants and a UV sterilizer. My husband tests the water twice weekly and said everything is in normal ranges.
We have snails, 3 whisker shrimp, 2 weather loaches, 2 long bodied catfish, 2 otos, about 13 platys, 3 neons, 5 mollies, 2 Cory cats and 2 butterfly hill stream loaches.
Half of the platies are new as of 3weeks ago and all the mollies were added at that time as well. The tank itself has been up and running for over 3 years.
I recently added the plants out of my goldfish tank when I broke it down. The goldfish died of a nasty fungus looking disease. I let the tank run uninhabited for 6 months before moving the plants.

How long do shrimp live? Is it sick or just dying? :(

Back
Top Bottom