Whats killing my red cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarl_10gal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently traded some plants with someone for some red cherry shrimp. Ive noticed they have slowly been dying off. Here is the tank parameters water 75 degs GH of 12 ph of 7.3 and i dose the PPS pro fertilization method. Very heathy tank with plenty of happy fish. Any ideas?

Most common killer of shrimp is:
A) some form of copper in the water that might be there from your water source, even some fish foods use copper sulfate which can kill smaller shrimp
B) Lack of Calcium/Minerals to Molt, they literally die in their shell, but I'd go with
A if you just got them. Only, slightly other possibility, is if you have a sand bottom, during cleanings/water changes if you "burst" any built up ammonia pockets, it'll wipe them out in under an hour.

Good luck, but start with checking your tank/foods/water source for Copper!
Sam

Could it be that my water is too hard? I have also had trouble keeping snails alive as well.

I think your Gh is too high. ph is a bit high but mine is at 7.2 in the mornings and 7.0 in the evening - I use pressurised Co2. My Gh is 5-6, Kh is also 5-6. Also a little high but gives me a stable tank.
IMO i would reduce Gh for RCS.

I would agree with the Gh being a bit high but in this case i believe someone was eating them at night since i would never find bodies and there were less every morning.

Mystery was solved today when i did a water change and found 6 shrimp dead in the filter....

That'll do it! But did they die before or after getting into the filter? In any case, you defo need some netting over your filter inlet. I was recommended a piece of ladies stocking but I found it too fine and clogged so I cut up an old green fish net and used that. It seems a good compromise.

Well the fact that one was alive when i found them would paint the picture LOL shortly after placing him in the tank i noticed him hanging around the plants right by the inlet... I took an old bio bag that was laying around and put it over the inlet.

You said you dose PPS pro fertilization. All ferts contain copper which kill shrimp. If the one you're using contains copper then that's what's killing them.

Ferts generally dont contain enough copper to kill shrimps, if you look alot of processed shrimp food has a tiny bit of copper in it too. They actually need a tiny bit of copper to live, but large amounts of it will kill them too.

Gh 12 is a bit high, but definitely okay for cherries, they can be in up to gh 14. But the fact that there is fish in the tank, they are probably killing them. Also if you have a high flow filter, the the intake can be sucking them up too.

Thanks for the help. A few posts up I stated I found 6 dead in the filter:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom