What's the benefit of keeping shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carter_beyer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been thinking about keeping shrimp any help is much appreciated and I'm open to anything

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Now would they be compatible with fish sorry I'm super new to invertebrates

Now would they be compatible with fish sorry I'm super new to invertebrates

it depends, what fish do you have?

As to the post title, they are fun, neat, and interesting addition to an aquarium that add almost no bioload

As of now none it's just done cycling about so I'm just looking for ideas

As of now none it's just done cycling about so I'm just looking for ideas

Pretty much everything will eat them, it's just picking out what isn't the best at eating them. Pretty much all small fish are fine since they can't handle the adults. Rainbows are good because they have such tiny throats.. I saw one of mine with a shrimp stuck in his mouth for 10 minutes before spitting it out.

Cichlids or large fish are bad news. They will actively hunt and devour the adults. Angels are in this group as well as rams.

Bettas are hit or miss with them. Mine hunts them but can't catch the adults so they are semi okay.

I was thinking some schooling fish like tetras um maybe apsitos I know this is pushing it but possibly dwarf rainbow fish

I was thinking some schooling fish like tetras um maybe apsitos I know this is pushing it but possibly dwarf rainbow fish

The apistos would probably eat them, but the praecox would be fine. That's what I kept with mine

Neons are usually fine with adults. Young shrimplets will still become a target. Ottos are a good one to keep with them. All of my shrimp tanks are only shrimp and snails, it's actually best that way.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 4 Amano shrimp in my 75g with an angel and some bolivian rams. Those fish sometimes look like they want to eat them but end up backing away. The shrimp are adults so they're a little larger. The also have these whip like antenna that they swing aroudn when fish get too close to them. I'm not sure what will happen when the angel is full grown but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

As for the benefit, I bought them because they're cool to watch. I haven't tried any of the smaller ones like the RCS or CRS only because I know those would become added protein for the fish.

I have both Amano and Red Cherries in a community tank with rasboras, endlers, pygmy cories, and a single dwarf gourami.

As far as I can tell, they all get along. The gourami was the last in and chased everything, including its own reflection, for a month or so, but has since day settled down.

I do have a big piece of driftwood and several plants, so it's not too hard to hide.

Well, the starter of this topic has sufficient reactions. And it's obvious by now that red cherries are compatible with certain kinds of fish...

Haha thank you all is there any price ranges you could give me?

I been keeping ghost shrimp with my tiger barbs, pictus catfish, fruit tetras, a pink tail chalous, and a red tail shark. The pink tail eats at them sometimes. I buy mine from wal mart for like 16 cents a piece. I throw them in and they live for about 3 or for months. I usally buy around 20 or more at a time. I know they do get eaten. I buy them to give my fresh water guys some real live food. I can watch the shrimp for a while and then its time to get more.

Back
Top Bottom