What's wrong with Sluggo the Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meesh

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sluggo is a Blue Mystery Snail I've had since early January. He's been a quite happy snail and wandered around the tank.

Last week my nitrates were 20-30 ppm. I was leaving for a 4 day weekend, so I did a 40% water change in my 20 gallon tank and they were closer to 10-15 ppm. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites.

Husband tended tank and fed while I was gone.

Over the weekend Sluggo started hanging out of his shell, looking might gross. He had never done this before. I picked him up carefully to see if he was dead, he closed up. I put him on the driftwood where there was more algae. I fed him some algae chips. He did eat them. But he won't crawl around at all and after awhile I find him all upside down and out of his shell.

Took these just now. 1 is how I found him, 2 is after picking him up gently and putting him back down, 3 is a few minutes after that.

Tia

Any ideas? 1490728610029.jpg1490728615226.jpg1490728621974.jpg

Nothing new. I let the water sit overnight and add a half cupful of Prime per 5 gallons same as always. He's left the driftwood. Is underneath it now and partially out of shell.

I have raised lots of snails. The only time they do this is when something changes in the tank and stresses them. New food, water, temp...something.

Sometimes the quality of tap water can change dramatically if something is going on with your local water works.

Hmmmm.....will be be okay? I just need to wait it out?

There's been no change i know of. I have a yellow mystery snail in a larger tank downstairs, same water supply, doing fine. Only change was a 40% water change rather than usual 20% due to slightly elevated nitrates

He's still acting weird. Not moving, or moving very little. Upside down. Currently closed, but often kind of spit out of his shell, looking, quite frankly, like a vajayjay. There have been no changes.

Too bad I'm not the praying type. Time will tell I guess. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom