Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Today I placed order of shrimps. These I order.

Black King Kong Shrimps (Quantity 5)

Black Rose Shrimps (Quantity 5)

Chocolate Shrimps (Quantity 5)

Blue Velvet Shrimps (Quantity 7)

For now I didn't order bloody marry or bolts and went for those who I very badly want lol. Next will buy bolts and bloody marry. My cherry shrimps are developing very dark red almost maroon color so I am not too much in need to bloody marry and will try to have first different variety in tank.

I hope shrimps I order are same as shown in catalog. Very excited and little concerned because mixing different breeds and some have different requirements than the others.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ideally set the tank for the most sensitive shrimp you are getting and keep it consistent.

Smaller sized water changes mean less stress with fluctuating water parameters for shrimp. They like things to be pretty stable all the time not too big of changes.

Keep the tank to be NO Ammonia or NitrIte, lowish Nirate.

After it is restabilized to the new stock and parameters are stable them just keep up with little water changes unless urgent to clean water more.

Acclimate the little guys properly to your new water. Take sample of the fish water when they arrive. Do not use the shipping water in your new shrimp home, dump it after acclimating.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

You’ve got a skittles tank. That is a term used loosely for putting mixed colored neocaridina in the same tank. I suppose it can apply to Caridina shrimp as well.
Thinking about doing this myself with some RCS and yellows. Maybe add some blue or oranges.
My water parameters are fine for neos but not the more expensive shrimp.
Good luck with this.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Skittles ❤ this - describes my shrimp tank too (what is left of it-sad story)also my future gup tank since it will have ssst Mollies too
Old 11-13-2017, 12:04 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Ideally set the tank for the most sensitive shrimp you are getting and keep it consistent.

Smaller sized water changes mean less stress with fluctuating water parameters for shrimp. They like things to be pretty stable all the time not too big of changes.

Keep the tank to be NO Ammonia or NitrIte, lowish Nirate.

After it is restabilized to the new stock and parameters are stable them just keep up with little water changes unless urgent to clean water more.

Acclimate the little guys properly to your new water. Take sample of the fish water when they arrive. Do not use the shipping water in your new shrimp home, dump it after acclimating.
Thanks a lot Ma'am. Yes I will do everything you said. I never put fish store water in my tanks but my brother did once only and that resulted in detritus worms in my tank. This time I will do everything myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
You’ve got a skittles tank. That is a term used loosely for putting mixed colored neocaridina in the same tank. I suppose it can apply to Caridina shrimp as well.
Thinking about doing this myself with some RCS and yellows. Maybe add some blue or oranges.
My water parameters are fine for neos but not the more expensive shrimp.
Good luck with this.
Thanks a lot. All others I think are fine just King Kong blacks are very expensive and demanding. I started with five to see how it goes. I don't know my water chemistry in detail but usually all fish and invertebrates thrive good. Will see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earhtmother View Post
Skittles ❤ this - describes my shrimp tank too (what is left of it-sad story)also my future gup tank since it will have ssst Mollies too
And what's the sad story?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Had an issue with some kind of worm infestation - was away when filter died during a power blackout & when restarted 3 days later it literally poured all these thread like worms into the tank - if I had had fish they would have been eaten but apparently it is the opposite with shrimp worms eat them - lost 3/4 of my population before I finally got them under control - just starting to introduce more shrimp now so we shall see - need to do a thorough gravel clean next but need to figure out how to get the dirt & not the juvies
Old 11-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhtmother View Post
Had an issue with some kind of worm infestation - was away when filter died during a power blackout & when restarted 3 days later it literally poured all these thread like worms into the tank - if I had had fish they would have been eaten but apparently it is the opposite with shrimp worms eat them - lost 3/4 of my population before I finally got them under control - just starting to introduce more shrimp now so we shall see - need to do a thorough gravel clean next but need to figure out how to get the dirt & not the juvies
Thanks.

Tags
advise, ich, rim, shrimp, shrimps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com