Whisker Shrimp Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoonTigress

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. I am new here.

I can't find anything on Whisker Shrimp Compatibility?

I would like to know if they are compatible with the following:
Fry
Male Betta
Male/Female Guppies
Female Mollies
Mystery Snails

I have these all in various tanks.
Thank you. ☺

They can be aggressive from all accounts I have seen. Grab fry. It is also possible that they would eat snails as well.

I would also be concerned for a Betta, especially if with long fins, while resting on or at the substrate.

One other thing is occassionally, they are mismarked and will become large actually, Prawns and get really large, just a thing to keep in the back of your mind if they get over 1.50" .

If they get hungry, they can be very aggressive.

Oh no.

That is why I asked on this forum.

The guy that sold me the 5 whisker shrimp on bid. Said they were great with anything. I got them for $4.25.

Just my luck that they are a bit aggressive.

Thank you very much for the information.

You can just watch and see how they are. If they are kept with a good food source they may be happy. You can always do a species only tank for them with some fast swimming top/mid water dwelling fish which do not rest on the bottom. They shrimp can crawl around the tank on DW and plants and pinch at fish but less chance with a good selection of fish.

I have not kept them but a few friends have and most people state the little guys can be pinchy and can behave aggressively.

Yes. I will have to test them out in a different tank first to see how they really are. Great Advice!

I found the message ��. It has a lot of details and information. Thank you very much! ☺

Be wary, fellow fishkeeper. I introduced one puny 2cm whisker shrimp in a 5 gallon planted cube with three dozen red cherry shrimp and one Izumo Nankin goldfish.

Within a month I gazed upon naught but dismembered cherry whiskers, tails and legs, and my goldfish was considerably worse for the wear, with jagged fins where majestic sails once soared.

I introduced 40 whisker shrimps in an attempt to return some livelihood to the tank. Lo and behold, they scattered throughout the tank and co-existed, or so I thought.

After another month, he had grown considerably in size and was now an inch and a half, and devoured all but the goldfish.

That was 4 months ago. I now have a giant mutant kingsize whisker shrimp that measures 3 inches from snout to tail. And those murderous claws which it lugs around gift it another inch and a half, bringing the beast's total length to 4.5 inches. Even the goldfish fears for its life as it scurries away in the wake of this crustaceous kraken.

Expect minnows, bettas, tetras, shrimp and snails to be snacked on.

Be wary, fellow fishkeeper. I introduced one puny 2cm whisker shrimp in a 5 gallon planted cube with three dozen red cherry shrimp and one Izumo Nankin goldfish.

Within a month I gazed upon naught but dismembered cherry whiskers, tails and legs, and my goldfish was considerably worse for the wear, with jagged fins where majestic sails once soared.

I introduced 40 whisker shrimps in an attempt to return some livelihood to the tank. Lo and behold, they scattered throughout the tank and co-existed, or so I thought.

After another month, he had grown considerably in size and was now an inch and a half, and devoured all but the goldfish.

That was 4 months ago. I now have a giant mutant kingsize whisker shrimp that measures 3 inches from snout to tail. And those murderous claws which it lugs around gift it another inch and a half, bringing the beast's total length to 4.5 inches. Even the goldfish fears for its life as it scurries away in the wake of this crustaceous kraken.

Expect minnows, bettas, tetras, shrimp and snails to be snacked on.

That is a Prawn my friend! Time for shrimp cocktail.

Back
Top Bottom