White threadlike things in my Red Rili Shrimp tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2tanks4me

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are these white thread-looking things in my Red Rili Shrimp tank? They almost look like grey hairs & at 1st seemed to be moving in the current but now look like they are moving (wiggling) on their own. Sorry can't get a picture but they are so small I can barely see them!

Hi,
Look up either, Planaria or hydra and see if either matches. If you want to get rid of the Planaria do it fast as possible, I lost about 10 shrimp because they sting them kinda like a jelly fish I guess...not good for shrimp and snails and baby fish.

I just got rid of them just over a week ago. let me know if you need some help if it is Planaria.

While researching Planaria I came across something called Detritis Worms which at least by the pictures appears to be what it is. It says they are not harmful but come from needing to clean the substrate. I have only been keeping shrimp about 2 months & do weekly water changes & nitrates remain below 10 but have never vacuumed the substrate yet. My son is definitely guilty of overfeeding though, I don't think he realizes how small these shrimp are. This leads me to another question HOW DO U VACUUM THE GRAVEL WITHOUT SUCKING UP THE SHRIMP? No problems with the fish tanks, do it with every water change but have yet to try it in the shrimp tank yet. Plus this tank so small it hard to get the python in there. Thanks

While researching Planaria I came across something called Detritis Worms which at least by the pictures appears to be what it is. It says they are not harmful but come from needing to clean the substrate. I have only been keeping shrimp about 2 months & do weekly water changes & nitrates remain below 10 but have never vacuumed the substrate yet. My son is definitely guilty of overfeeding though, I don't think he realizes how small these shrimp are. This leads me to another question HOW DO U VACUUM THE GRAVEL WITHOUT SUCKING UP THE SHRIMP? No problems with the fish tanks, do it with every water change but have yet to try it in the shrimp tank yet. Plus this tank so small it hard to get the python in there. Thanks

Fluval makes a smallish vacuum wand which is thinner to get in between. Made for the EDGE. I have a similar issue with a very planted 6.6 Edge that I had the Planaria problem with. Right now what I am trying is to vacuum into the sand in the bare spots and then move over the rocks and vacuum there. Then next time vacuum better in the bare spots and move the rocks back where I prefer them, trying to avoid the roots.

Also I have used a chop stick and swirled it around in the sand to stir up the particles. This gets the shrimp very excited at the chance to nibble on new crud!

As for sucking up shrimp, I bump the plants I will be cleaning with my finger on the suction tube end to stop suction, then start the vacuuming. Mostly the shrimp vacate the area but I have sucked up a few mostly when they were babies. I use a white bucket so I can watch the bottom sediment. using the chopstick after the water is still, wave it next to the sediment in a slow circular motion. Adult and baby shrimp swim in a jerky darting manner and it is easy to see if you got one. Just net it and put it back in the tank.

Of course this isn't with a Python, it is manually..., you could fill it back up with a python though. Just for cleaning the substrate. Still do normal water changes as usual.

Show your son maybe even with a magnifying glass, how small their mouths are, then just ask him to think about how small their stomachs are and how much food he thinks they should get and put it on to a piece of paper drawing how tiny the mouths and stomachs are. Then put the amount of food he should feed on the paper to get an idea of how much it should really be...Depends on modifications based on your sons age... You can give him a little measuring spoon for the correct amount of food per feeding.

I am an over feeder, even after I cut them back half! lol It really does make a difference on water quality/ required pwc frequency. I am a recovering over feeder. hahaha

I will definitely check on the mini-vac this weekend, I had been stirring the gravel with a thin wooden dowel hoping the filter would catch most of it but of course it doesn't. Sure sends shrimp & snails into a feeding fit though. Thanks so much for your help!!

Yes it does, that is a tell tale sign of too much food.

Our local Petsmarts have had the Fluval vacuum on clearance sale, in recent weeks. You may want to check the clearance corner. It does have an angle to it where it connects and takes some getting used too using btw.

Back
Top Bottom