Why did this shrimp die? Detailed photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water stores in Los Angeles sell RO for 25 cents per gallon. TDS where I buy is 4ppm

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Just got the API test kit for KH/GH and tested my aquarium:
8 drops for KH, 17 drops for GH. Tap water was exactly the same number of drops.

For KH that's 143.2 ppm, but for GH that's off the scale!

What is a water store? Is it called "TDS"? I wonder if there are some available in down in SD.

Water stores in Los Angeles sell RO for 25 cents per gallon. TDS where I buy is 4ppm

I noticed that the drops to ppm is linear (add 17.9 ppm per drop), so I think I have
KH = 8 dKH = 143.2 ppm
GH = 17 dGH = 304.3 ppm.
0 NO3, NO2, NH3, pH = 8.2, temp = 75C (constant), TDS = 450-475.
Would these parameters be problematic to keep neocaridina?

Just got the API test kit for KH/GH and tested my aquarium:
8 drops for KH, 17 drops for GH. Tap water was exactly the same number of drops.

For KH that's 143.2 ppm, but for GH that's off the scale!

Is your water off a well or its city water?

I noticed that the drops to ppm is linear (add 17.9 ppm per drop), so I think I have
KH = 8 dKH = 143.2 ppm
GH = 17 dGH = 304.3 ppm.
0 NO3, NO2, NH3, pH = 8.2, temp = 75C (constant), TDS = 450-475.
Would these parameters be problematic to keep neocaridina?

You would have to try to keep GH between 5 and 11 for the RCS. Above 11, I found that my shrimps were unable to molt.

It's city water controlled by the "Padre Dam Municipal Water District" in Eastern San Diego. I think I've put my finger on the molting problem. Extremely high GH.

I am thinking about a 1:1 dilution of tap water and distilled. That should cut KH/GH in half since they are concentrations and bring me to KH 4, GH 8.5. Now to find some inexpensive RO or distilled water. I am renting, so I am not sure if my landlord would really approve of an under-the-sink setup.

It looks like it did not molt correctly. Probably something happened during its molting that stressed it out and died. just my guess. sorry for your lost :/

I've never paid any attention to the store name but 25 cents a gallon is the normal price at any water store I've been to. A quick yelp search will show several in the San Diego area.
I'm keeping shrimp in a 5 five gallon planted. I do a 50/50 mix of tap and RO. so my water changes are rather inexpensive.

It looks like it did not molt correctly. Probably something happened during its molting that stressed it out and died. just my guess. sorry for your lost :/

I think you right about that. I hoping to reduce GH to help molting.

I've never paid any attention to the store name but 25 cents a gallon is the normal price at any water store I've been to. A quick yelp search will show several in the San Diego area.
I'm keeping shrimp in a 5 five gallon planted. I do a 50/50 mix of tap and RO. so my water changes are rather inexpensive.

Ok I'll take a look and see if I can find some. I just did a 10% water change of 1:1 tap:distilled. That mixture gives TDS of 216, which seems much more reasonable. Unfortunately, it didn't make much of a dent in the overall TDS of the tank. Maybe have to keep changing water with this new mixture for a while to see the TDS and GH come down, but gradual is probably better with shrimp.

I have performed two 10% water changes, three days apart, with 1:1 pure:tap and the TDS is coming down about 20 ppm every time. The KH and GH have dropped only very slighty. I will continue with this for my water changes from now and keep on eye on how low it can go. Would love to see 250 ppm.

Found a whole bunch of babies starting to come out of the moss and another berried female!

I want to thank everyone for helping me in my transition to a new water source. So, so much to learn with shrimp. I hope this adjustment is good enough to keep the colony going strong!

Back
Top Bottom