Will fourish excel harm my inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gal with a smaill blue crayfish and several snails

I am hearing reports that flourish excel harms inverts like shrimp

Is this true?

I am currently 1ml daily

You would have to dose 6,000 ML of Excel into a 10 gallon tank before you'd reach the toxic levels of copper that would harm your invertebrates.

I dose Excel Comprehensive twice a week after water changes and haven't had any issues.

I dose flourish excel daily (1ml) and a full capful after water changes in my 10 gallon shrimp tank with RCS, amano, and super tiger shrimp. I also dose flourish 2x a week. Everything is fine and the plants are doing great.

You would have to dose 6,000 ML of Excel into a 10 gallon tank before you'd reach the toxic levels of copper that would harm your invertebrates.

I dose Excel Comprehensive twice a week after water changes and haven't had any issues.

I think you mean Flourish Comprehensive as far as the Cu goes. Flourish Excel is the liquid carbon.

I dose Flourish Comprehensive 2x per week and Flourish Excel every other day. I only have pond snails, and they are not harmed in the least.

Also, I suggest when you get close to running out of excel, to get a gallon of metricide 14 on ebay. It is glutaraldehyde, the same as excel, however you can get 1 gallon for $21. Also, the concentration of metricide is almost double that of excel, so you are basically getting 2 gallons for $20, whereas a 500 mL bottle of actual excel is nearly $10. You obviously will have to adjust dosing with metricide though, since it is more concentrated, unless you dilute it.

Also, I suggest when you get close to running out of excel, to get a gallon of metricide 14 on ebay. It is glutaraldehyde, the same as excel, however you can get 1 gallon for $21. Also, the concentration of metricide is almost double that of excel, so you are basically getting 2 gallons for $20, whereas a 500 mL bottle of actual excel is nearly $10. You obviously will have to adjust dosing with metricide though, since it is more concentrated, unless you dilute it.

Exactly what I plan on doing too when I run out! Good call Bud.

I never though of doing that, cute trick

Back
Top Bottom