Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Contests
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
I went to post a picture of a shrimp during the shrimp theme POTM. Then it said I couldn't just upload a picture from my phone I had to go through something else and I just gave up. Was looking forward to posting my pic too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had the same message. I had to load the pic in my album and then insert the image url. It was almost impossible with my phone.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please give us your input on contests

Exactly. I don't even have an album or know what you are talking about when you say 'my album'. It's probably not even that difficult but to go round the houses to do something which can be done in seconds directly from your phone is slightly off putting and tedious.

As Brookster pointed out as well as a few other regulars that's the bare bones of it. I don't know why this isn't allowed or if it's possible but this change I feel would keep the forum contests alive.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #13
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I don't use a cell haven't for many years they just got to technical for me .
but yes I can see were this can be a issue , and I would like to see things more user friendly with the app . let me bring this into discussion and see if we can find a simple resolution to this .
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:03 AM   #14
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

TOTM:- I was going to ask how people find voting off the app (from web view) for TOTM? As mentioned, lots of views but only a few votes so can some people try and give feedback on this? Plus your vote will count

POTM:- Really appreciate the posts to date, software platforms have a life of their own but we are keen to help out here.

Any new members out there that want to add their thoughts as well it would be much appreciated. When I first joined people had some great cameras. Here all my cameras have been replaced with the iPhone. Maybe photo contests have had their day?? Or maybe a change in contest? Locally we do build contests however the member list doesn't change much so the entire year can get devoted to a build thread contest.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Please give us your input on contests

Perhaps also breaking the contests down by experience instead of theme?
I know when I just came to this forum seeing some of the entries made me think "oh I will never win" lol.

Or even perhaps just adding a new tank of the week post, for new members. Something to get those who just joined interested.

And +1 to easier photo add.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #16
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Perhaps also breaking the contests down by experience instead of theme?
I know when I just came to this forum seeing some of the entries made me think "oh I will never win" lol.

Or even perhaps just adding a new tank of the week post , for new members . Something to get those who just joined interested.

And +1 to easier photo add.
we are trying to find a solution for the picture loading ,

These two contests are not based on experience , example it's a nice clean creative scape not experience I look for creative and the cleanliness , I don't look for how long you have been in the hobby novas to the most experienced are treated as equals .

when I scout for tanks I look for the creativity of the layout for the TOTM , originality
is another aspect of what I look for ,

POTM is basically the same but according to the theme , both saltwater and freshwater are welcome with every theme. In the POTM I leave the judging up to the the winner of the previous month ,

I do expect a fair judging not based on experience but what the theme is and how it was caught and presented , I do expect the judge to be fair with their choice for a winner not based on if it's freshwater or saltwater , not favoring one certain water type..

In the TOTM I use a computer generated wheel with the choosing of tanks , so there is no form of favoritism , another example I will not put a less experienced tank against 2 highly experienced tanks and vise versa ,

if two beginner tanks arise on the wheel than a more experienced tank comes up I put that tank back in the vault and spin for another equal tank so it's fair, same goes for the experienced if two come up than a less experienced tank comes up I do the same thing find another equal tank and put the other tank back in the vault,

with this contest your fellow fish keepers will vote on a poll to find a winner I also ask if you brows this page place your vote it don't just appear because you visited the page .
I keep tank owners anonymous until there win. to make things as fair as I can .

If I see any sort of favoritism I will bring it to a vote behind closed doors with the AA staff , this will bring a fair outcome .

I encourage everyone to post pictures in the show off your tank thread as I brows through it daily, for tanks to add to the vault . I'm always in need for both fresh and salt. I also encourage if you see a tank you think needs to be nominated please let me know via pm ,
Old 09-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I would vote but I use the app on my phone and there does not seem to be a vote button or link at all and I agree with the photo upload problems that need to be sorted

sent by CaydonRSA
Old 09-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Geez.. if I didn't know any better.. make the contest way more user friendly if it means that much???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #19
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydonh View Post
I would vote but I use the app on my phone and there does not seem to be a vote button or link at all and I agree with the photo upload problems that need to be sorted

sent by CaydonRSA
the link is in the stickies on the contest forums
Sept 2016 totm

the poll is on the very top of the page
Old 09-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

For me to see the polls I have to go to the web view. They are not visible in the app.

Tags
contest, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com