0 nitrates? Whaaaaa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most likely the test results were not accurate,you should try testing the water again and you'll probably get the right results.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most likely the test results were not accurate,you should try testing the water again and you'll probably get the right results.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I just reseated in my pond lits still 0. My fish tank is still getting 10ppm though,

are there lots of plants with leaves above the water level? They might be removing nitrates.
There is hornwort and algae

Are you using the API test kit? You really have to shake the bottles for the nitrate tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just reseated in my pond lits still 0. My fish tank is still getting 10ppm though,

There is hornwort and algae

Horwort and algae won't remove a significant amount of nitrate. To do that, you'd need plants with leaves above the water level. So the most likely explanation is not shaking that nitrate test hard enough. You have to really SHAKE that bugger.

Are you using the API test kit? You really have to shake the bottles for the nitrate tests.

Horwort and algae won't remove a significant amount of nitrate. To do that, you'd need plants with leaves above the water level. So the most likely explanation is not shaking that nitrate test hard enough. You have to really SHAKE that bugger.

Yes I'm using the API master test kit. I just tested for like 10 mins and in still getting same results

Are you following all the steps correctly?

Step 1: Add 10 drops from bottle one cap and invert several times
Step 2: Shake bottle 2 vigoursly for thirty seconds add 10 drops
Step 3: Cap and shake the test tube vigoursly for 1 min
Step 4: Let sit for 5 min

You have to follow exactly on this test or it doesn't work... (is it sad I know that test by memory :D )

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you following all the steps correctly?

Step 1: Add 10 drops from bottle one cap and invert several times
Step 2: Shake bottle 2 vigoursly for thirty seconds add 10 drops
Step 3: Cap and shake the test tube vigoursly for 1 min
Step 4: Let sit for 5 min

You have to follow exactly on this test or it doesn't work... (is it sad I know that test by memory :D )

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what i di

I had the same issue. 0 nitrates. thought it was my method, shook the bottles for double the time, still the same results, took water to LFS, just registered 1 or 2 ppm (apparently). A few months later and it's sitting comfortably between 3-5ppm. ??? Lots and lots of plants, and lots of fish. 2 largish filters running, but I'm as confused as you...I've recently added Azolla sp. but that doesn't explain the time prior to this known nitrate remover...

What fish do you have and how many if each roughly. And the size, these might help fiugure out the problem.

okay here's the list - I know some are inappropriate but I have a soon to be empty 125ish litre (35ish US gal) for the smaller species and a 90 ltr for fry:

2 juvie angels
2 dwarf gouramis
2 bristlenose (with fry recently removed)
4 bronze corys
6 peppered corys
5 kuhli loaches
9 guppies (3M 6F)
6 zebra danios (7 until 1 jumped out)
4 neon tetra

Not all heavy bio load makers but there's enough! Tetra VX300 external (for 300ltr-80 US gal), put in a seeded internal made for a 600 ltr
(160ish US gal) a few weeks ago. My tank is 250ltr - 65 US gal. Relatively heavily planted now, DIY CO2, 10,000k dymax quad lights, under gravel fert, occasional liquid fert and liquid carbon and some resident blackworm escapees. The nitrates started registering a little while after upping the ferts.

Happy to be told I'm doing something wrong re the nitrate readings, but I am quite meticulous with all my water tests and changes...use API freshwater master kit...

sorry, realise you were asking Crazyhermitcrab, but my info may help? I'm not concerned with my levels though...

Sent from my iPhone using

I was asking hermit you were right but were you also having nitrate issues. Now u said the tank was medium planted. The plants may be using up the nitrogen as ammonia before it has a chance to become nitrate. Plant prefer ammonia as there form of nitrogen is what I heard so maybe that is your "problem although it's the opposite of a bad thing in this case.

Goldfish and plecos are nitrogen factories so they should be pumping out ammonia. Well, are they producing so much nitrate it's just off the charts? I really don't know.

Goldfish and plecos are nitrogen factories so they should be pumping out ammonia. Well, are they producing so much nitrate it's just off the charts? I really don't know.

The pleco is a baby. I have a good amount of goldfish, they are very very small. The most of the are 1" but there is 2 5"ers

Hmmm are they eating a lot of food of just a little?

Back
Top Bottom