2 oreandas in a 10 gallon tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldfish620

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
?Hi I just got oreandas in 2013 in October the 23rd. Should they require a bigger tank I know lots about taking care of goldfish but tank size I over looked I hopefully will be upgrading soon to a 20 gallon or 29 gallon tank with big filtration. What would you reccomend???

I think you will need a larger tank - perhaps 40 gallons as an interim tank and then bigger later on - the advise I have been given is 55 gallons per fancy goldfish.

You will also need good filtration - up to 10 times more than the volume of the tank (e.g. 400gal for a 40gal tank).

Can you get a large Rubbermaid tote in the interim? You can get a 50 gallon very inexpensively, add a filter and airstone in and you'll have much happier fish. Goldfish cannot survive long in a 10 gallon. My large tank leaked and, in the emergency, I had to put my goldies in a cycled ten gallon for 48 hours. They have yet to recover from that ordeal. Before that, never a problem, ever. Now, constant fin issues and lethargy. :( The best thing you can do for your fish is to give them a larger home ASAP with excellent filtration. 10 times the tank volume is recommended, so a 50 gallon tote would need a filter with a minimum of 500 GPH.

Thank I am throwing around different tank answers. So if you see tank answers for me please get involved in them…

Sent from my HP 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom