20 Gallon Planted Goldfish Tank Questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilBangarang

Aquarium Advice Activist
For about six months now, I've been wanting to get a 20 gallon goldfish tank, but haven't been able to get a hold of some money for it (I'm 14). I have a 40 gallon cichlid tank in my basement and want to take a serious shot at some aquascaping. I figured that fancy goldfish would be a great way to do this. My only real question is what plants would you recommend? I'll have a few large rocks in there and also want to have some plants. Preferably some kind of hairgrasses that the goldfish won't be as likely to eat away. Are there any that you suggest? Also, is there a good way to get some of them growing in cracks in the rock? Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

Unfortunately, goldfish and planted tanks do not get along well together. Not saying it cant be done (it certainly can!) but it will take alot of trial and error as to what will work. Teaching a young fancy to eat veggies daily early on will be the most helpful as well as considering hardy plants. The goldfish will decide what plants (if any) are allowed. A 20g is really only suitable for a single fancy, so please consider this as well.

Anubias, and Java Ferns are two really good ones. If you feed your goldfish (you will only have one in this tank, right?) plenty of veggies, you should be able to have more variety. I know some people can keep vals with their goldfish too.

Hairgrass would be destroyed in no time flat and is also very high maintenance, just pointing out.

It will 'help' with his veggie 'quota'. In natural environments, over 80% of a goldfish's diet is algae and veggie matter. Making an effort to mimic this with daily veggies in addition to staple foods will help. You can also provide plants for munching purposes such as eldoea, anacharis or wisteria and replace them frequently as they are devoured. As already menntioned, anubias, java fern, crypts, swords, etc are good ones to start with and you can venture from there if this goes well.

I used goldfish to help cycle on of my planted tanks. They will rip out every last plant. I wouldnt do a goldfish planted tank, i dont think it will work out.

If you want a 20 gallon planted tank, a tetra community would be much better suited. As some one else mentioned, a 20 gallon tank is only suitable for one fancy goldfish really. You can add some barbs and some corys. A dwarf gourami pair or a GBR would go well.

OP wanted a planted goldfish tank. I have seen some amazing planted goldfish tanks. I say go for it.

BTW, the bottom of aquariums should be large enough to hold some pretty big rocks right?

As long as your stand can support the additional weight, I'd say you're fine. I wouldn't place the rocks directly on the glass, though.

And you can have a planted goldfish tank. I do. Like JLK said, make sure you get a young goldie (one for this size tank) and start feeding veggies from the beginning.

I have a bare bottom planted goldfish tank with medium sized rocks to hold down the plant roots. It has worked well for me so far and the plants provide extra oxygen. Just be careful with the placement of the rocks as the fish could try to squeeze in the cracks when looking for food and get injured. One of my Oranda's got a bleeding eye from this. I dose my plants with flourish excel.

Back
Top Bottom