75 degrees too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnutz2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. My name is Sam. I just transferred my step daughters two comet goldfish ( won at fair) from the 10 gal we had them in to my old 30 gal. I know this is just a temporary move as they will get much larger still. At room temp here the water temp stays around 75 degrees. Is this too hot, and if so is there any way to lower the temp without buying a chiller?
They also aren't moving around today? Just moved them last night.
Is this normal behavior?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Fish

Hello. My name is Sam. I just transferred my step daughters two comet goldfish ( won at fair) from the 10 gal we had them in to my old 30 gal. I know this is just a temporary move as they will get much larger still. At room temp here the water temp stays around 75 degrees. Is this too hot, and if so is there any way to lower the temp without buying a chiller?
They also aren't moving around today? Just moved them last night.
Is this normal behavior?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello Sam...

75 degrees is the high end water temperature for a goldfish. They're cool water fish. If you're going to keep this one and you have no way of dropping the temperature, then get as much aeration or surface movement going as possible. Oxygen doesn't mix well with warm water, so you'll need strong filtration to agitate the surface and mix in a little more O2. Your fish is likely having a little trouble breathing.

Goldfish are big waste producers, so you'll need to change a lot of tank water and do it often to keep the water pure and safe for the fish.

Good luck!

B

The fish may not have been moveing so much if they have just moved tanks it can take them time to adjust and they may be a little stress if they start to move more days following and exploreing you have nothing to worry about and i agree with the above. Get a bubble pump and anything that will help break water surface this adds oxygenation and allows carbon dioxide to leave the tank. The more surface breakage the better. If the room is partically warm maybe moveing the tank to a cooler area of the house

Do you have a lid on your tank? if so try taking it off or at least partially off, that and increasing the water agitation in you tank should drop the temp down a few degrees.

To cool the water down, you could freeze a plastic bottle of water and let it float in the tank. You might treat the water with a dechlorinator prior to freezing in case the water leaks out when it thaws.

75 is a bit warm, but honestly it isn't going to kill them as long as it isn't year round. Frozen bottles are good for about 15 minutes and do little for overall tank temperature, they do however, create a cold area of the tank that the fish can swim to and from as they choose. My comet/common goldies have been outside with water into 80 degrees without issue. It drops given the air temp/rainfall conditions, but generally swings with the air temp.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom