A Platy and A Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpAceGiRl94

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
So I just got another 10 gallon today (I managed to get a used tank, filter, hood, heater, and stand for $10). Problem is it came with a female platy and a black nerite snail (probably) that I didn't realize were in the tank. The old owner transported them in the tank but I had to drain it in order to be able to carry it up the stairs. Luckily I had a ziplock bag that I put both guys in and am currently acclimating them to my water/temp. I also have the heater plugged in and going. I decided to go ahead and keep the current filter for now just because it's already cycled and I know that the move caused the platy and snail enough stress. Luckily, I had already planned on getting platies or another beginner fish type for the 10 gallon so I'm definitely keeping these two. I'm not sure on what precise species these guys are (I'll be posting pictures in a minute) but questions are:
- when I get these two accustomed to their new home, can I get 2 more FEMALE platies or would that be overstocking? I don't want fry.

Notes on the tank and equipment: I asked the old owner and she said that all the equipment was purchased as part of the 10 gallon starter kit at Walmart so I ASSUME that the filter is a tetra whisper 2 to 10 gallon filter. I'm not sure on the heater. Again pictures below.

Also I know the water level is low. I was hoping a lower water level may result in the water being better for the heater to get the water to the correct temp. And then I'll add more water.

Attachments

• 15455162607055778714389612341896.jpg
    15455162607055778714389612341896.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 15455163254758810569106444383836.jpg
    15455163254758810569106444383836.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 1545516344528262914532734802653.jpg
    1545516344528262914532734802653.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 91
My next question is on the stand itself. I've been looking at it and while the stand is supposedly fine for 10-15 gallon aquariums I'm still nervous about the lack of support on the corners of the tank... should I put some type of plank between the stand and the tank? Or will it be fine like this?

Regarding the first post, you can get a few more FEMALE platies. You can add treated water that is matched the the current tank temp.
Looks like a giant or Columbia’s rams horn snail.

Okay. The old owner told me it was a black racing nerite. Ramshorn or the other is fine though. I bought him some algae wafers and he's going to town on one of them. I also got some wooden boards to put under the tank. Should I go ahead and remove both platy and snail (or just the platy) and put the boards underneath? Or would it stress them out too much to be moved that much in one day? I did just get them today so they've been through a lot. Of course I feel like maybe I should just so the tank is secure. Would prefer to lose just 2 animals over the tank breaking and water everywhere... I can take more pictures of the snail to identify the species if that would help.

Okay - I decided to go ahead and stress them out a little more and went ahead and moved them out of the tank and got the boards underneath. It's not pretty but it is more secure than the alternative. I got them back in and the snail seems fine but the platy is hiding in her little rock formation. I'll check on her in an hour and see if shes moving around. When she got here it took her about an hour to stop hiding and then she was zipping around. Hopefully she will recover well. I feel bad but this will prevent the tank from crashing to the floor or from developing a leak.

I was researching platy types and it looks like a sunset to me, but I'm not an expert. Both she and the snail are supposedly 6 months old so I'm worried that her growth is stunted because she is absolutely tiny.

Also update on stress for them: snail loved his algae wafer and is currently chilling at the water line on the tank. Platy hates her life and is still hiding in her rock formation; although I did see her come out for a little bit last night before I went to bed. She does hang out with the snail quite often and will just hover next to him. Is this normal? I assume that they have been the only 2 tank inhabitants for 6 months but I dont know.
When I get two more female platy friends for them, how should I go about quarantining them? The only other tank I have is a 10 gallon with that goldfish (who is growing like a weed by the way and who can't wait to get to the pond I have planned for him). Should I go get a regular plastic tote and just place them in that? And how should I go about heating the water for them? I dont want a heap of melted plastic. Any particular totes/methods recommended? I would love to just put them in the tank but I know that is probably not the best thing. Next question, with this filter do I just change the filter media completely? Won't that force the cycle to restart? There is really only one space for one media that I can tell... and I can tell the media needs changed, the old owner mentioned that it was long overdue. I assume she hasn't changed it much over 6 months, possibly not at all. Can I just partially squash another media filter in there and wait a week and remove the old one? I did not change from the original gravel although I did add more and mixed both gravel types slightly together so there should be some bacteria in the gravel but I'm not sure if that would be enough since there was barely any gravel at all.

Updated photos of supported tank, happy snail, and ticked off platy

Attachments

• 1545569672918831962416041180986.jpg
    1545569672918831962416041180986.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 1545569718911442754446812043129.jpg
    1545569718911442754446812043129.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 15455697908004575859645594278813.jpg
    15455697908004575859645594278813.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 75
Sunset platies dont get as large as some other types of platies.

Good to know. Hopefully she isn't stunted then. Should I aim for more sunset platies or would any type of platy work for companions for her? The only location near me that has platies appears to be petsmart and the selection is apparently limited. I really don't want to order fish online, I feel like that would be too stressful, plus it's winter and if I don't get to them in time then they'll freeze.

Here is another question, in addition to the quarantine question on the previous page, do I need to get another heater and/or thermometer in order to match the temperature of the tank water for water changes?

And thanks to Austin for the sunset platy information!

You could buy a heater for that but if they shouldnt need one if they are not out out of the tank for long.

I meant I was wondering if I needed another heater or thermometer to heat up the new water for the water change so then the new water matches in temperature? Or if I should just add a cup of room temperature water every 15 minutes or so to the tank until the water level is where I want? Sorry i wasn't very clear. Basically how do I ensure that the new water matches in temperature to the tank water? I've been looking online but all I can find is "make sure the temperature matches as closely as possible" but nothing on how to ensure that match... or maybe I'm not typing in the right thing or it's an obvious thing...

I dont plan on removing the fish from the tank when doing water changes. I have a cat and she would take full advantage of fish in an open bucket on ground (and I know I would forget to put her in a separate room).

The platy and snail are both very hardy so if the temp is a little colder or eveb 65 degrees in the tank they will be fine. You basically could do either of your suggestions. Just do which idea you have that seems the least stressful on the fish.

Okay. So room temperature should be fine then?

Also, should I wait on the two other platies? If so, how long? And any suggestions on the container and method to keep them in to be quarantined? Should they be quarantined?

I would wait for your tank to cycle before adding more fish. And I know bb grows on surfaces but I believe you want it in your filter to filter the water as it passes by. And as for a extra quarantine tank. If you can’t afford to get one and you don’t have the extras needed like an extra pump and heater. I would just pick carefully and. Hope for the best. Treat as needed. I know a lot of people may not agree with me on that part. But eh it’s what I would do. As of now I am not quarantining my feeders cause it’s impossible for me to keeep up with how fast my sleeper is eating

Back
Top Bottom